Thread: hey Holley carb Gurus

Konabrent
    I'm running a 30 over 454, mild cam, oval port victor jr, and water log exhaust with an 850 double pumper. Any ideas on jet sizes? I'm thinking around 70 pri and 80 sec....close?

IMPATIENT 1
    i'd start out 78 primary and 80 in the secondaries. mortec says 80/80.here's a link:
    http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm

pw_Tony
    Since every motor's different I would run it for 10 minutes, and then pull the plug to see how rich/lean it's runnin. After an hour or so you should be able to get it right.

Saab
    Ive got the same motor but it 9:1. Its jetted 80 main and 88 sec. no power valve n the sec jet plate. guy at the speed shop said in racing aps they dont run a powervalve its all or nothing. they just jet it fat.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Ive got the same motor but it 9:1. Its jetted 80 main and 88 sec. no power valve n the sec jet plate. guy at the speed shop said in racing aps they dont run a powervalve its all or nothing. they just jet it fat.
    Tried that once on mine. Went from way the heck too rich to a big hole off of idle, and decided to hell with this. Some of us make great power with power valves working as intended.

Saab
    Tried that once on mine. Went from way the heck too rich to a big hole off of idle, and decided to hell with this. Some of us make great power with power valves working as intended.
    Yea I did not do this to the carb, thats how it came. I was having an issue with fuel leaking out of the carb into the manifold so I started by replacing the power valve, while doing this I saw how it was setup. Its new to me, and I probably wouldnt have done it. I dont notice anything with it working better or worse. I bought the boat as a cruiser so im thinking of takin it to a carb shop and having em rebuild it with a stock setup. I wasnt saying this is a better setup or worse, just that it was done to my boat. Not sure why they setup a 9:1 motor like that. guessing id say its at 350 h.p. motor. I have had it out twice and once or twice mashed it and no flat spots.... guess if it aint broke dont fix it :idea: