Thread: MSD vs Crane

Fired Up
    I've read the comparison on the web comparing the Crane hi-6 ignition box to the MSD 6AL. However, I'd like to know actual in the field experience boaters may have with the Crane system over the MSD. The Crane being digital over the MSD analog system seems more reliable. Anyone like one over the other??? Thanks for your input.

elemon8ter33
    I HAVE USED MSD6AL ON MY BOAT TROUBLE FREE FOR 3 YEARS THROUGH SOME VERY HARSH USE AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM
    [This message has been edited by elemon8ter33 (edited March 16, 2002).]

RumRunner
    Crane makes some great components, but everybody uses MSD stuff. Meaning when you have a problem (it's electrical around water you will) you can find replacement parts.

BOFH
    You need to look at this based on how you will use the boat. There are 2 different types of "electronic" ignitions; multi spark, and conventional. Multi spark really comes alive after 5000 RPM and extends the range of the power curve. (Dual point conventional ignitions also do this) Conventional ignitions, however, have a stronger spark at lower RPM. With a good system, you can also get variable dwell angle. For a low RPM engine, it is hard to beat the Pertronix Ignitor II. For a high RPM screamer, the MSD and Jacobs ignitions are the top dogs.