Thread: Supercharge a Baja Hammer???

Lethal Injection
    Hi all new here.. I went through many pages on supercharging the 7.4 mpi. Me and a Bud are contemplating the inevitable... I hear good and bad on supercharging this engine, I dont fear toasting the motor nearly as much as toasting me from being a bit to fast! My wife thinks IÂ’m nutz for wanting to go faster..tuff luck! I run 68 to 70 now GPS in my 98 Baja Boss Hammer (21.5'). I do want to bury the speedo at 80mph. Does anyone have any experience with this boat, motor and power set up. I think a SC system could easily be an overkill in safe mph, but most others talk like you canÂ’t rework the 7.4 MPI and gain much for the $$ unless you SC it. Id rather have a motor that talked to everyone while at idle (you all know what I mean) but put me around 80mph vs. sending me to the hospital at 90mph... Thanks for your responses!!!!

carreraboat
    a supercharger will not fit on your boat without heavy modifications to the interior.I would try calling alexi at boost power marine and put a twin turbo system on the boat.Not enough clearance in front of the crank for the pulley. put a straight edge on the crank to simulate where the drive belt would go and you will see what i mean about heavy modifications

Lethal Injection
    Thanks for the input.. but I read a section from I believe Dustin at Whipple Charger on here that their SC for this engine places their pulley system behind the OEM Serpentine crank pulley, thus not effecting forward clearance problems. I have about 3/4 of an inch from OEM crank pulley to edge of the fiberglass motor compartment. I assume no chance for a procharger without engine compartment mods since most I have seen mount farther forward of the OEM pulleys. I had a powerdyne on my truck that I used to pull this boat with. I believe in centrifiguals and roots type, both have +/-. Height isn't a problem, looks like Ill have 4 to 5 inches clearance there. Possibly the water neck would be in the way with a SC pulley system behind the OEM, maybe a new modified neck comes with the kit?? I grew up on turbo cars and love em but not what I want to do in the boat, im sure its real pricy!. Thanks for the post!

Lethal Injection
    I found some pics on whipple site... it does appear that the SC drive pulley lies behind the OEM serpentine. Check this link out.. http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...ber=WIP-454MPI
    I guess technology is expensive... Anyone have a money tree I can loot??

Whipple Charged
    Lethal Injection,
    You can sure fit that SC under there, need 2" in height, no room forward. It comes with a new thermostat housing and stainless water cross over. If you stay modest with boost and rpm, get lots of water to the engine, you'll be fine, it will last you a long time and when there is a problem, you have a system that will bolt on to a custom motor later. If you wanted to, you can easily duplicate the 500HP EFI and make 700+hp with the same unit.
    If your going 70 now, 80 should not be a problem.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Brad Perry
    Lethal,
    I have fit all kinds of blowers in that boat. The Whipple is the slickest and best in my opinion (even though I have ever owned one) The idea of a nice idle with dustin's attention to detail leaves me envious. I went throught the same issues, and couldn't believe that one could fit, but... it will. The floor liner has to be trimmed in front of the pulley and the back seat has to be cut out for the belt. A strengthening box was glassed in to regain the lost structure in the back seat. The forward bulkhead has to have about a 16th taken off of it for the pulley. I now have a 420 with intercooler fitted and also had to cut into the top hatch for the blower pulley. Smaller blowers will fit under the hatch without the PFM style intercoolers. Whipples intercooler is a lot lower profile. I gel coated all the edges after trimming for a good look. When the hatch is down, you would never guess what is beneath it!