Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1"vs 2" stringers

Why is it that Some boats are built with 1" stringers and others have the realy thick 2" stringers?
    Boats like the daytona and stealth tunnels ,some CP's and others are built with skinny stringers and others have thick stringers.
    Are the 1'' stringers sufficient (Strength wise) to mount engines and seats and rigging,to and still lend enough hull support?
    I do really like the looks of the skinny stringers vs thick ones.
    When looking for stringer wood it is hard to find kiln dried doug fir in the 2x6 (1 1/2"thick),or any that is not overly bowed or twisted. I can find nice dry doug fir and other woods that are 1x6(3/4"thick)and are nice ,straight and not twisted. the 2x6 stringers are 1 3/4"when wraped in 4 layers of glass,and the 1" stringers are 1" when wraped in its 4 layers of glass.
    Just wondering if Icould use the 1" stringers instead of the 2"......Hal

BrendellaJet
    Try a search. there was a thread on this in vdrives about a month or so ago. 1 inch stringers are fine.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Hal, Just laminate 2 one inch stringers together with a layer of mat in between. A few stainless screws will hold it together/ with clamps till it dries. It will be stronger because you have 2 different wood grain patterns. Pat

BrendellaJet
    Hal, Just laminate 2 one inch stringers together with a layer of mat in between. A few stainless screws will hold it together/ with clamps till it dries. It will be stronger because you have 2 different wood grain patterns. Pat
    uhhh, pretty sure thats not what he is asking about.

Wicked Performance Boats
    uhhh, pretty sure thats not what he is asking about.
    ?????? Hal asked about strength. I know Hal's boat is an older one. But apparently you haven't met Hal. He's a large guy[ no offense Hal]. Tunnel boat tend to be more rigid than a simi-V as they have more bends or corners in the bottom. However 2" stringers require less bracing to give added support. And in your boat Hal that's my recommendation. Pat plus You can get clear Douglas fir at Home Depot in 1"X 12'

Taylorman
    I just had my stringers replaced and the fiberglass shop used two pieces of 3/4" plywood to form my stringers. He used treated plywood from Home Depot, so why do you need kiln dried fir?

Wicked Performance Boats
    I just had my stringers replaced and the fiberglass shop used two pieces of 3/4" plywood to form my stringers. He used treated plywood from Home Depot, so why do you need kiln dried fir?
    Kilm dried fir is the standard. Plywood? I'd be worried if water got to the plywood over time it would delaminate much quicker. Pat

BrendellaJet
    ?????? Hal asked about strength. I know Hal's boat is an older one. But apparently you haven't met Hal. He's a large guy[ no offense Hal]. Tunnel boat tend to be more rigid than a simi-V as they have more bends or corners in the bottom. However 2" stringers require less bracing to give added support. And in your boat Hal that's my recommendation. Pat plus You can get clear Douglas fir at Home Depot in 1"X 12'
    He didn't ask if he should put 2 one inch stringers together. He asked if a one inch stringer is strong enough.
    Hal I've god a mild v bottom boat with 1 inch stringers. boat is 6-700 lbs. It is stout and the stringers are solid, have been beaten on since 1978 and they are still going strong. The guy I bought my boat from weighed a good 350 lbs. The seat didn't like him much, but the stringers didn't care(they support the motor after all).

Nucking futs
    He didn't ask if he should put 2 one inch stringers together. He asked if a one inch stringer is strong enough.
    Hal I've god a mild v bottom boat with 1 inch stringers. boat is 6-700 lbs. It is stout and the stringers are solid, have been beaten on since 1978 and they are still going strong. The guy I bought my boat from weighed a good 350 lbs. The seat didn't like him much, but the stringers didn't care(they support the motor after all).
    Do you have a sub floor?
    1" is the standard in tunnel hulls like pat said due to the bends and such which makes it a bit more rigid and on some tunnels there is wood laid down on the flats. A v bottom needs more strength length wise due to flexing. They will flex both forward (like a wave) and sideways wanting to curl the hull inwards and try to fold it.If you have a sub floor installed that will help the curling effect as will the gunnel suppots. Either way it all depends on how it was manufactured and the load bearing effects that were engineered into the hull. All hulls are designed different and what is good for one wont be good for another. I would go with the 2" on a V bottom, but what do I know??
    On a 1/4 stringer boat the floor is its strength..period!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast