Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: billet to usable part

wsuwrhr
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/drive10.JPG[/img]
    Finished part.

wsuwrhr
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/drive11.JPG[/img]
    Finished part.

Unchained
    Nice job,
    Is aluminum going to hold up for a part with that much stress on it?

superdave013
    I wanna get me one of dem der cnc thingies!
    Another outstanding part from Brian's boat shop.
    I ws going to post a pic of what I did last night. After seeing that I'll just crawl back into my cave.

wsuwrhr
    No problem, driveshafts are made of aluminum all day. The original one worked good, but it was my first design and and I think the U-joint failed. Drive shafts are made of carbon fiber also. The ends of a carbon fiber driveshaft are riveted on. I don't think it will be a problem.
    Brian
    [ December 05, 2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
    Come on Dave, post your part. I want to see it. Wait until I do my aircleaner housing, and the valve covers.
    Brian

superdave013
    I will post when I get to work. I'll do it in the v drive forum.
    Anyway, it's not spam unless you try to sell it with out anyone asking. So I will ask even though I have no use for it.
    How much does that part cost??

flat broke
    Brian,
    Quit showing off you fancy mo fo. Seriously, guys like you get guys like me depressed because scripting and compund curves are just things that are damn near impossible by turnin handles. The part looks great, but are you sure there is enough material in the bearing carrier area? You've run the part before so you'd know, but that doesn't seem like much material. Either way, thanks for postin the pics and keep up the good work.
    Chris

wsuwrhr
    If I could to charge myself, I would be rich. HaHa. Prototype price would be about 300, maybe a little less. It took about 6 hours machine time
    for prototyping. Production parts would take about half that time, half the cost also.
    As far as the strength goes, the bearing carrier area measures .2 thk, it is about .1 less than a production aluminum driveshaft for a car. The idea making the area thinner is based on a car driveshaft being under more load than a pump in a boat. We'll see. I think the original yoke failed because I made the area holding the clips in way too thin. In machining I call that DOOOHHHHHH. But I already had it made at that point so I tried it anyway. Brian

MikeF
    wsuwrhr:
    If I could to charge myself, I would be rich. HaHa. Prototype price would be about 300, maybe a little less. It took about 6 hours machine time
    for prototyping. Production parts would take about half that time, half the cost also.
    As far as the strength goes, the bearing carrier area measures .2 thk, it is about .1 less than a production aluminum driveshaft for a car. The idea making the area thinner is based on a car driveshaft being under more load than a pump in a boat. We'll see. I think the original yoke failed because I made the area holding the clips in way too thin. In machining I call that DOOOHHHHHH. But I already had it made at that point so I tried it anyway. Briani.e. 400hp x 2.91(1st gear) x 4.10(final drive) = 4772hp (to the wheels in first gear)
    400hp to pump = 400hp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast