Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crane roller rocker question

infotraker
    I sent my Crane rockers to Crane to look at a problem with the front pins moving outward. They will replace the entire set for free (mine are Energizer series). They will upgrade the set to their Goldrrace series for $130.00. The engine is a BBC 468 , 990 heads, tunnel with 2 750's, 10.5 to 1 comp.,hydr. comp cam, Sanger pickle, used mainly for fun (skiing etc) with some high speed runs up to ~ 6000 rpm. I probably will upgrade to a solid cam (lost valve head this summer maybe due to valve float). Last owner ran a Isky solid cam model Z-55 (590 lift 300 duration, said engine was getting top of ~6500 rmp).
    Should I go with the rocker upgrade (or just get free ones). Any comments on the Isky Z-55 cam or maybe a better one ?
    Thanks

Racing Ray
    I think you answered your own question. Lets see I tried to save money the first time and now its broke should I save money again???
    Myself I prefer trouble free and don't mind paying a bit more for a much nicer piece.

Infomaniac
    now I'm confused
    Pay more is better than saving money twice?
    I could not explain that to my wife if my life depended on it.
    [ October 09, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

H2OT PURSUIT
    Watch my lips! Always, always, always use the best parts you can afford when it's for a boat.
    Just my 2.
    Scuba, Sky or Muff - No dive too tuff.

GofastRacer
    Get the Crane Golds, the Energizers are for the street!..

mrgoslow
    energizers have been on my bbc since 99. zero failures, wot @ 5400 on a regular basis. 558/580 lift.

flat broke
    Dont look this gift horse in the mouth. A lot of times when we cheap out on a part, the consequences are extremely expensive, and then you still have to pay full pop for the better part in the end. In this case, you are getting to learn the same lesson without any detriment to the engine and only having to spend the incremental increase for the better parts. Drop the $130 and smile.
    Chris

superdave013
    flat broke:
    Dont look this gift horse in the mouth. A lot of times when we cheap out on a part, the consequences are extremely expensive, and then you still have to pay full pop for the better part in the end. In this case, you are getting to learn the same lesson without any detriment to the engine and only having to spend the incremental increase for the better parts. Drop the $130 and smile.
    Chris How true is that! I broke a Herbert (Harland Sharp) rocker. It didn't hurt the engine (got lucky on that) but I did have to take it all apart to get the chunks out.

Hotcrusader76
    My 0.02...
    The Crane Gold Rockers are the hot-ticket. Something I didn't know about them was they will not fit under Chrome Edelbrock Signature Series valve covers. For a second you think they fit until you run the motor only to find cylinder 1 and 8 intake rockers hitting the inboard side of the covers. I had to switch to the larger more expensive aluminum versions.
    On another note, some of you couldn't be further from the truth on cheaping out on a particular part. After the money I invested into my sled I decided to go budget on a few items on of them being the original flexplate. Bad move...should have upgraded to an SFI version, but didn't...and spent the weekend on the trailer.
    Long story short....buy the best in valvetrain components and or items you don't want to replace when they do break while the engine is in the boat IE Flexplate...lol

Dave C
    I ran the golds in 3 different engines with .588, .639 & .709 lift for years. Never had a problem. Good stuff. I'm a happy camper.
    IMO I would throw down for the better part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast