Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel tube

BrendellaJet
    Anyone know how to straighten this stuff so its REALLY STRAIGHT? I bought a roll that came in a coil. Im working with 3/16, so its pretty user friendly. Im able to get it pretty straight in a vice with light pressure, just curious if there is a better way.

Taylorman
    You must have some pretty thin stainless tubing if you can bend it by hand. I have to use a bender to bend the stuff i use for plumbing in my boat. You sure its not aluminum?

superdave013
    I don't know how it would work with stainless but this is how I used to do it with copper.
    Put one end in vice. Clamp vicegrip to other end. Pull and twist at the same time.
    But if you want to get it in straight lengths I stock it. But if you want to save some coin just go to ACE Stainless in Santa Ana.

BrendellaJet
    Brendella, don't know what you've got but all the ss tube I used to do the entire boat has come in straight lengths. If can straighten it by hand I'd agree with Taylor that you have aluminum. Try McFadden Dale for ss tube.
    Rio
    Got it from Mcfadden dale. It is stainless.

BrendellaJet
    I don't know how it would work with stainless but this is how I used to do it with copper.
    Put one end in vice. Clamp vicegrip to other end. Pull and twist at the same time.
    But if you want to get it in straight lengths I stock it. But if you want to save some coin just go to ACE Stainless in Santa Ana.
    Ill try that. The vice works okay, was just curious if there was some neat trick people used.
    Thanks.

v-drive
    The tubing is annealed that's why it can be bent. Brian I have a die
    that I use at work,actually I have a few that you put in a vice and close around it. Let me know the diameter....pop

Try doing this with straight tubing, man what a nightmare
    but worth it

here is a better pic

BrendellaJet
    Nice job, Outlaw. Super clean lookin.
    Rio
    Ditto that!

Taylorman
    Very nice. That takes alot of time to bend and fit stainless tubing. I spent about 4 hours yesterday bending and fitting less than two feet of it.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1178854476
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...3&d=1178855392

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast