Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first v-drive daycruiser!

Kurtis500
    Hopefully wont buy another one, but this one seems pretty nice. I found it in the boat trader mag for $5500. Motor is fresh and ran very well when I checked it over. Its a Howard hull with a fairly mild BBC, a velvet drive and an Ace Champion v-drive. I'm curious how this will handle the rough water compared to my flatbottom? Anybody care to give me some advice who has gone from a flat to a daycruiser? I am selling the stern drive right now and liked the option of backing up. I hear the v-drives dont back-up very well?? Is there really any need for a t-400 transmission instead of the velvet drive? It has 2 good seats but thats it. Good part is, I get my upholstery at half of retail and my best friend is an upholsterer! So the inside will be done in about 2 weeks.
    heres the only pic I got right now, kinda shady, but its out of the boat trader..
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/700307719301.jpg[/img]

SERIOUS ISSUES
    I have only been in 2 v-drive cruisers. one rode like a flaty and the other rode like a standard issue I/O. the rough ride was a old heavy ass Hallet. dont ge me wrong, it took the big water were I would have been a little nervous in a flat but it was a rough ride. The other boat was a light layup newer boat and I dont recall the make. It is Ducky's dad's boat. NICE RIDE. Your boat looks like it has a deeper V than the hallet and will ride good I think. does it have adjustable cav plates? If it does it will make all the differance in the world.
    as for the tranny, It's a 1 speed w/ reverse, correct? If you are happy w/ the way it comes out of the hole and the RPM's you are turning I wouldn't worry about a TH400.
    By the way. Dont worry about stearing when in reverse. both boats sucked at that. wink

SERIOUS ISSUES
    just noticed, you are in Phx. If you decide to go w/ a differant tranny, let me know. The father-in-law has a tranny shop and we will be able to help get a good one.
    let me know if I can help.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have a 22ft Schiada. It rides like a dream.

spectras only
    Kurtis , your howard is a spectra copy ,so you'll be happy with the rough water handling.Only 12 degree of deadrise ,but built like a tank and you'll part 2' chop with ease trimtabs installed on it.Here's a pic of my late friend's 21 howard with 454 TH400 .I would keep the B/W tranny which is bullett proof anyway.Is the tranny a C-72 ? I have the ACE champion v-drive in my boat [super quite and robust].If you don't care changing gears every weekend for racing I would keep it.Sterndrives are more expensive to repair than changing v-drive parts.
    [ May 30, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

kurtis500,
    man, what a great deal.
    The bottom of your hull, well even the deck too, is an exact splash of the Spectra 20. He changed nothing in the process of building his own molds. I'm pretty sure ol Howard Brown was the first to splash that boat and it was only a matter of months after Spectra came out with the deal. At least that's what he told me when I worked for the new owners and Howard would come around picking up his money. Later, he changed the deck and did away with the sloping gunnales, a change I always liked. He also offered the whaler deck too. Howard Boats (no more Howard Brown) still has the molds for that by the way.
    congrats....you got a hell of a deal........wanna trade for a 66 Howard flattie?
    [ May 30, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

Kurtis500
    Serious issues. I plan on trying it as is, my flat is good at low or high speed. If I feel the need to push it up higher I will switch to the Casale which I have gears for and then run a tranny. But since I'm tired of messing with my boats I may leave it for a while. I saved your name for reference.
    I'm actually right in the middle of Phoenix. Central and Montebello. (Bethany Home Rd) Where are you located at?
    The guy I'm buying this from says he just speeds up in the chop and it rides right across the top of the waves. Something I cant think of doing with a flat or hydro. Does this really work?
    [ May 30, 2003, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Kurtis500 ]

Kurtis500
    Good, I liked the Spectras I have seen before The boat is advertised as a 21 footer, is there a difference between the 20 Spectra and this or is it just numbers?
    The Champion v-drive does look very robust. I've laid eyes on many Casale units, and this one is big. I would love to leave it were its at and use my hydro to make things go faster. I have 3 little kids and needed something more stable and secure for passengers. As for the c-72 is there a place I can look to find out?
    It does have an adjustable cav plate but no swim deck. Is there a good way to get people in after skiing or is the cav plate still the best route?

dimarcobros
    Congrats!!! The boat I have now is a 21' DiMarco and I absolutely love it becasue of the V drive. I don't think I will go back to anything else for awhile. Happy boating.

Kurtis500:
    Good, I liked the Spectras I have seen before The boat is advertised as a 21 footer, is there a difference between the 20 Spectra and this or is it just numbers?
    K500,
    Same boat. Like I said above, the Howard is an exact splash of the Spectra. One was called a 20, the other a 21.
    Spectras were legendary for their lay-up too, and you'd be hard pressed to find one built as well from that era. Howards lay-ups were as good, maybe better. Plus he had a decade or two of v-drive experence behind him when the Spectra brand hit the scene.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast