Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAD bad day today......

boatsnblondes
    About 2:00 this afternoon, Amtrak 713 hit a small SUV in Riverbank today...inside the vehicle, one adult, two teens, three baby's...no one made it...everyone is shocked....reports ar from one end to the other...but it looks like she had the gate go down on her windshield, then panicked and bolted...train hit them at 79mph...
    Boat cop is on you guys for being safe at the river, I'm on ya for being safe around the crossings...so, how to avoid this??
    NEVER stop on the tracks...always WAIT until you can safley cross before you proceed...there is a limit line before the crossing, use it. When the guy ahead of you goes, and you can get accross the tracks WITHOUT fouling them, then go.
    If you should find yourself in the same situation, i.e. half in, half out..first try to back up, can't do it? Don't panic, look at the tracks...see the tracks?? If the front of your car is 3-4 feet clear of the rail closest to you, you'll make it.... Too close, get out, LEAVE the vehicle...we can replace the car, we can not replace you....
    One last thing...NEVER EVER look into the headlights of an oncoming train for too long, they will make you lose all depth of field,.....kinda like hypnosis...
    All of you, be safe....trains going down through the olive district on the way to Angels stadium, do 79 in some places, as do trains running down Orangethorpe....Amtrak hauls ass heading down through Lake Forest, MV, on down to San Clemente, and then head for 90 down by Pendleton....
    My speech for the night..my thoughts and prayers go out to the family for this horrinle loss....

IN2-IN2MX
    That is so sad. :jawdrop:

MRS FLYIN VEE
    Thoughts and prayers to the families and to those lost.
    thank you for the advise. Hope all take it and remember it.

ratso
    Sad... Still, I will never understand how you get hit by a train...:jawdrop: You look... you cross... If you see a train, stay put because chances are you're gonna lose. http://***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

EAZYKILLER2006
    this is just terrible news!
    our thoughts and prayers to all the families involved

C-2
    Just read about it, and it's heartbreaking. I can't imagine.

superdave013
    BnB, Man O man did I get soooooo lucky not long ago. Trust me I did learn the lesson.
    I ride my bike to work alot. Once I was at the crossing on Broadway in Anaheim. crossing arms were down and I waited for the Metrolink to pass. It did and I went around the arm and trucked across the tracks. I didn't get clear by more then 10' when I hear something. Yup, the Amtrak train was going the other direction and almost took me out. I never even knew it was there until I was already across. I get the same chills just thinking about it.
    Then just today I'm sitting at the same crossing. Some maintaince thing was on the tracks. I was looking both ways after it went by. Nothing in sight but I still waited. lol
    Hey, you ever go down the tracks on Santa Ana street in Anaheim? What a trip those tracks run right down the middle of the street. You drive right next to the trains. They go very slow through there. I live 4 houses away from that track and a train is going by now. F'ers make my windows rattle.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    you must have 8 lives left.. very lucky

boatsnblondes
    IF the gates are down, they are down for a REASON...never go round the gates, wait for them to go up...or make a u-turn find another way...the gates are activated by a detection circuit...only way way for them to go down is if soemthing is FOULING the circuit..i.e., no way to fool them..if they are down, something is there..most of these circuits are a quarter mile away...so odds are you won't see it.
    One last thing. A LOT of people get killed in double track areas, this is when there are two rails, trains can go either way, on either track. So folks see one trai go by, the gates don't go up, think it's because of the train that just went by, bolt thte gates, get pastered by the train on the OTHER track. The gates are activated by ALL the rails they protect. Not just the one that happens to have a train at it.
    You guys are GREAT people, the best of society...God , I don't want to see any of you hurt....

boatsnblondes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast