Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no spark

dwmmatt23
    okay so i replaced the coil few weeks ago cause i wasnt gettin spark, then few days ago on water started up no problem anytime i wanted.then yesterday tried it and no spark again, so took control module to have tested and said it was bad so wired up new one and still no spark, but the coil got really hot after two cranks so went and swaped for new one. havent tried again as of yet, would a fauly control module cause a new coil to go out? and if that doesnt work what should i try next?

Jetaholic
    okay so i replaced the coil few weeks ago cause i wasnt gettin spark, then few days ago on water started up no problem anytime i wanted.then yesterday tried it and no spark again, so took control module to have tested and said it was bad so wired up new one and still no spark, but the coil got really hot after two cranks so went and swaped for new one. havent tried again as of yet, would a fauly control module cause a new coil to go out? and if that doesnt work what should i try next?
    If your distributor has a magnetic pickup, that could be bad.
    Take the coil wire and position the distributor end of it about 1/8" - 1/4" from the engine. Ground the negative side of the coil and turn the igntion on. Then disconnect the negative side of the coil and the coil should spark if the coil is good.
    Have any questions give me a call.

dwmmatt23
    If your distributor has a magnetic pickup, that could be bad.
    Take the coil wire and position the distributor end of it about 1/8" - 1/4" from the engine. Ground the negative side of the coil and turn the igntion on. Then disconnect the negative side of the coil and the coil should spark if the coil is good.
    Have any questions give me a call.
    hey, yea i was gonna call you but your number was saved in my other phone so new one doesnt have it. plus i got that cable clamp in

pw_Tony
    What ignition box do you have?

dwmmatt23
    What ignition box do you have?
    just a standard control module

hang tight
    you may want to put a resister on.

dwmmatt23
    okay i got spark and started but still have engine run on problems when ignition is turned off, will not stop running. any ideas

n8dawg
    You just gotta love wiring problems!
    They are never any fun and it just gets tougher and tougher as you dig through it!
    Good luck.

mondorally
    Here is a link to the install instructions for an MSD6 box in PDF format.
    http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf
    Page 8 has some troubleshooting tips for engine run on. I know you don't have an MSD but it may help to diagnose/solve the problem.
    -Justin

dwmmatt23
    Here is a link to the install instructions for an MSD6 box in PDF format.
    http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf
    Page 8 has some troubleshooting tips for engine run on. I know you don't have an MSD but it may help to diagnose/solve the problem.
    -Justin
    i have tried the diode inline when i had no spark but with turning it over two times trying to start it the diode got very very hot, so hot you couldnt toch it so i removed it. it was facing the right way. anybody got any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast