Thread: ? about the Windage tray

Aqua Boogie1
    Hey, I have a quick ? guys. I just bought a Dooley oil pan used and it the windage tray that mounts to the block. Which way does the tray get mounted, with the edges pointed up or down??????

Aqua Boogie1
    Got it........................Thanxs anyway.

As long as you brought up oil pans and windage trays I thought I'd toss in a little tidbit that might help someone.
    Towards the end of summer I developed an oil leak around the edges of my Dooley pan. Not wanting to pull the motor out, I carefully snugged up all the bolts I could get to being careful not to warp the pan.
    It stopped the oil leak for the rest of the season. I pulled the motor out and after removing the pan I was cleaning out some gasket material that had fallen into the bottom. I was mopping up some of the material and oil when I noticed a metal piece about the size of a dime laying on the bottom of the pan. After looking around some I noticed that it was the little tab where the rear pickup had been attached and the pickup was just flopping in the breeze. Fortunately for me the bolts were tight enough that it didn't come loose or crack. Since I don't own a welder, I made up a little hoop and drilled some holes near the orignal attaching point then bolt and nutted it using the star washer type locking nuts and lots of locktight. I had to swing the crank around a few times to make sure I was bolting it in an area where there would be no interference. I'm confident it'll never come off unless I want it to and I've got plenty of clearance.
    All this just to say that if the pickup had cracked/fallen off/ or other wise broke, I'da been in a world of hurt.
    If ya'll are pulling your Dooley rear pickup type pans for any reason..........you might want to take a look at the rear pickup attaching point. It seems to be a weak link.

steelcomp
    Honestly, that type of windage tray probably does more harm than good.

Can you elaborate Scott?

hang tight
    make sure the rod caps clear the pan and your good to go.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Yup!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Can you elaborate Scott?
    Keeps the oil above the tray and the crank grabs it=windage

Aqua Boogie1
    As long as you brought up oil pans and windage trays I thought I'd toss in a little tidbit that might help someone.
    Towards the end of summer I developed an oil leak around the edges of my Dooley pan. Not wanting to pull the motor out, I carefully snugged up all the bolts I could get to being careful not to warp the pan.
    It stopped the oil leak for the rest of the season. I pulled the motor out and after removing the pan I was cleaning out some gasket material that had fallen into the bottom. I was mopping up some of the material and oil when I noticed a metal piece about the size of a dime laying on the bottom of the pan. After looking around some I noticed that it was the little tab where the rear pickup had been attached and the pickup was just flopping in the breeze. Fortunately for me the bolts were tight enough that it didn't come loose or crack. Since I don't own a welder, I made up a little hoop and drilled some holes near the orignal attaching point then bolt and nutted it using the star washer type locking nuts and lots of locktight. I had to swing the crank around a few times to make sure I was bolting it in an area where there would be no interference. I'm confident it'll never come off unless I want it to and I've got plenty of clearance.
    All this just to say that if the pickup had cracked/fallen off/ or other wise broke, I'da been in a world of hurt.
    If ya'll are pulling your Dooley rear pickup type pans for any reason..........you might want to take a look at the rear pickup attaching point. It seems to be a weak link.
    Thanxs for the info, I will check it out!!