Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a difference REALLY?

aarjones
    I have been having trouble getting my idle set. Under 1000 Rpms. Finally I got frustrated and took it to a somewhat questionable boat shop. The guy said I can't get it to stay constant because I donÂ’t' have a marine carb. I thought marine carbs where only needed if you had a cover over your engine. Majority of flatbottom - v-drives donÂ’t have covers that. I Just have Chevy 350 with 350hp and 350tq with 650 eldlebrock. He is convinced that I need to exchange it to a 650 Holley marine carb. In his defense I have heard other people tell me that Holley carbs are better for boats. The other thing he told me is that you canÂ’t but a chevy350 car motor into a boat and I thought to myself what the heck did they put in v-drives for the past 50 years. I am new two the sport and I am only 24, I have been putting this boat back together and this is the last thing that has been bothering me. Any truth to me needing a marine carb and that Holley is better for boats than edlebrock?

minimatt
    Take it somewhere else. This guy is trying to sell you parts that you don't need. You are right about car engines being used for 50 years in v-drives. Yeah, you generally set them up a little differently with regard to clearances and such, but it isn't completely necessary with your basically stock 350. I haven't fooled with the Edelbrock carbs much, so I don't have any advice for you on it. Sounds like this guy's questionable reputation is well earned.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I have been having trouble getting my idle set. Under 1000 Rpms. Finally I got frustrated and took it to a somewhat questionable boat shop. The guy said I can't get it to stay constant because I donÂ’t' have a marine carb. I thought marine carbs where only needed if you had a cover over your engine. Majority of flatbottom - v-drives donÂ’t have covers that. I Just have Chevy 350 with 350hp and 350tq with 650 eldlebrock. He is convinced that I need to exchange it to a 650 Holley marine carb. In his defense I have heard other people tell me that Holley carbs are better for boats. The other thing he told me is that you canÂ’t but a chevy350 car motor into a boat and I thought to myself what the heck did they put in v-drives for the past 50 years. I am new two the sport and I am only 24, I have been putting this boat back together and this is the last thing that has been bothering me. Any truth to me needing a marine carb and that Holley is better for boats than edlebrock?
    Go somewhere else and warn your friends...

QuickJet
    Do it yourself. It's easy and now is the time to learn. For what you would pay in labor for some clown to swap out a carb, you could have yourself a nice little combo ready to go.
    Ditch the Edelbrock and get a good Holly.

aarjones
    So what would be a good Holley

superdave013
    The other thing he told me is that you canÂ’t but a chevy350 car motor into a boat and I thought to myself what the heck did they put in v-drives for the past 50 years. I am new two the sport
    be sure that engine has a v drive oil pan on it.

sixgunsam
    Don't know what a good Holley would be, but I am running 2 650 Edelbrocks and they seem to work fine.

CircleJerk
    A runaway idle and surging is usually an indication of a vacuum leak. Possibles: leaky carb gasket, intake gasket, exposed vac port, float level too high, idle air bleeds bent, worn throttle shafts, carb dirt or corrosion, misc leaks etc. To check gasket seal, Try squirting carb cleaner at the gasket area with a tach registering any rpm change. Good Luck, and you can do it!

coolchange
    Ya, What Jerk said. In defence of your mechanic(?) that carb probably knows its not on a car.

aarjones
    Thats funny
    Anyone else have an idea of what carb to use on a simi modified 350 small block chevy it has 350hp, 350tq . Should i run a 650 or 600? What version of the holley should i get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast