Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get 500HP with oval penut heads?

probablecause
    Can I get 500HP (n/a) with a BBC that is .60 over and running about 10 to 1, with oval port penut heads?

ghittner
    No, never. Ovals, yes because of velocity, and rectangle for RPM yes.

QuickJet
    Whats the casting # on the ovals? Heads is where the power is, everything else is just along for the ride.

cfm
    Yes you can, but not in stock form. For that matter, not even close to stock form. Amount of port and machine work needed would make cost very large.
    So....dump them.
    The large oval ports will need some port work and larger valves too - 2.19I,1.88E - but much more basic to do and won't cost a whole bunch. You can typically find them in this fashion used for $800 or so. Approx cost for you to have done would be $1000 or so if you have the heads.
    Now, decision becomes do you spend a little more $$$ and get good aftermarket heads ?

Can I get 500HP (n/a) with a BBC that is .60 over and running about 10 to 1, with oval port penut heads?
    Sure you can, 60lbs of boost (prolly turbos would be best) and a good shot NOS with port nozzles should get somewhere in the ball park

don johnson
    I had a Pfaff motor built many years ago....468 CI with Brodix oval port heads that made 635 HP with 10.5 to 1 and big solid roller.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Sure, with an insane ammount of money spent porting them into large oval heads and new valves.
    Spend a fraction of that money buying a set of large ovals, minor porting, the big factory valve sizes, and get 500 HP with no problem at arround 5,000 RPM.
    If you want it at higher RPM, go rectangle, but they'll kill the lower RPM torque production.

ck7684
    I wouldnt waste any time or money on peanut ports. Oval ports are great though...

Fired Up
    probable cause , I have a set of large oval port (049) BBC heads I was about to put on ebay. PM me and I will make you a good deal on them. They are bone stock with excellent comp springs, and I'm just a couple of counties north of you. Had them on my Canyon Flat then went to aluminum. Been sitting in my garage for the last year. Rather somebody use them than be paper weights in my garage.

GofastRacer
    Forget the peanut heads, if you go factory the 049's with the big valves and a clean up and the right cam will give you 500hp no problem!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast