Thread: New guy here.. In the beginning

Thunderbolt
    Hi folks,
    I am the new guy on the block. I've been viewing your forums for the last few days and am hopeing I am in the right place to build a boat. Or is this place for boats already built?
    Heres the scoop.. I found a stored up, since 95, 16' Thunderbolt with a 350 olds and a Berkley jet drive. The motor has Hardin Marine bling bling all over it but has been sitting so long I'm going to be hrs getting it back to a shine. Boat came with a single axle trailer.. I offered the guy a price and to my surpirse.. rolled home with it..he wanted it gone..
    We went into the motor a lil .. it has a 650 holley, air scoop, motor looks pretty stock but is very clean on the inside and turns over {by hand}, looks to need a couple freeze plugs and an alternator and other lil things but for the most part the boat is complete.
    I wanna make it run, but I'm not looking for a race boat {yet} thinking maybe a rebuild, cam, different intake and so forth..
    Any ideas and helpful hints would be appreciated... it's gunna need a paint job, don't think you can bring any gelcoat shine to a few areas.. any good places in Va to paint boats?

snake321
    summers almost here. Get it runnin and shine her up. Start takin it apart and you never know what'll happen...wait for fall

Thunderbolt
    so don't redo it now?.. just get it running.. I don't know a whole lot about this boat yet.. I'd hate to get stranded out in lake anna with you guys zipping about lol..

DaveA
    so don't redo it now?.. just get it running.. I don't know a whole lot about this boat yet.. I'd hate to get stranded out in lake anna with you guys zipping about lol..
    You could hit it with a paint job on the outside if you've got 40 hrs available to prep it- looks like it'll take some work. But look at the bright side of learning about it at Lake Anna- there will be alot of guys that'll share information with you and would get a kick outa trying to help you figure stuff out about it. Plus, always be the one with the looong stronng tow rope- they'll haul you back to the ramp. What are friends for????

Thunderbolt
    True.. and yes it is going to need a lil work...I see some of ya having a big GTG on the lake in early June, I may stop by to look and get some ideas on stuff I'm going to need to do to mine and hopefully get some helpful tips....I doubt mines a diamond in the ruff.. more like modeling clay that needs shaping lol

snake321
    gettin towed is part of the deal...

LynnsJet
    Watch out for this bunch. There are a lot of good people in this bunch but warning. They will tow you in and then post your picture on ***boat. It is one of their favoirte forms of harassment.
    Welcome aboard. Come to Jack's at Lake Anna even if you can't bring your boat.
    Hey, You could bring it as a "Rat Rod"

Thunderbolt
    Thx,
    If my memory serves me right theres a GTG on the weekend of the ninth of June.. I'm not to far from there.. I may even trailor it there for show and tell and to get some ideas from folks and pointers.. I seriously doubt it'll hit the water.. we're still trying to get info on it..

Thunderbolt
    Oh forgot to mention.. I think I indirectly know "Groundsfordivorce" I've seen the name on another forums. if he sees this or ya know em.. Tell em "Outlaw" says hi..