Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 Mercruiser Vs. 5.0 Chevy motor

Boozer
    Is there any significant difference between the marine version from mercruiser and the gm version that would be found in say a Camaro or some other vehicle?
    It looks like my current 4.3 is hosed and I am thinking about replacing it with a 5.0 motor.
    Also is there any diff. between the 4.3 Mercruiser and the Chevy 4.3 Vortec block?

Run_em_Hard
    I can't answer you question very well but I read an article in either Powerboat or ***boat about the differences between vehicle and marine engines and in an nut shell it said to not use the vehicle in a marine application.
    Also, if you are going to jump from a V-6 to a SBC V-8 go straight to a 5.7 and stay away from the 5.0. For power to money and resale and upgrades the 5.7 is a far better engine, IMO.

Boozer
    I can't answer you question very well but I read an article in either Powerboat or ***boat about the differences between vehicle and marine engines and in an nut shell it said to not use the vehicle in a marine application.
    Also, if you are going to jump from a V-6 to a SBC V-8 go straight to a 5.7 and stay away from the 5.0. For power to money and resale and upgrades the 5.7 is a far better engine, IMO.
    Would an Alpha 1 be able to support a 5.7? I'd hate to throw in a new engine and then blow the drive.

MADMAN
    I have an alpha1 on my tweeked out (not marine) 5.7! Runs like a bat outta hell....It's get'n dyno'd as we speak and they are checking what ratio outdrive is as I should be get'n more rpms outta mill...I'll fill ya in on outcome.
    as for the 4.3...hell of a motor...same bore as the 5.7 just missing two jugs. The major problem with applications for boat or truck is due to the fact that they make two modles one being the vortec fuel injected and the other being throttle body fuel injected...they don't play together nice!
    go with the 5.7 INDEED!
    and from my personal experiance when something says "marine" all it means to me is a 1/3 higher price over the counter. But....marine carbs have different springs (like off road truck applications) and starters have a little metal plate thats somewhat sealed to keep water out (kinda). On both I just do the re-builds......so street performace works for me....but then again I am A MADMAN! :idea:

BDMar
    There is a difference. Mercruiser Marine engines have more piston to wall clearance, more bearing clearance, different rings and ring gap, different valves, camshaft, valve springs, head gaskets......etc.
    The Alpha is standard on the 5.7 so you will be fine.

Run_em_Hard
    There is a difference. Mercruiser Marine engines have more piston to wall clearance, more bearing clearance, different rings and ring gap, different valves, camshaft, valve springs, head gaskets......etc.
    This is the man to listen to...he knows his shit

MADMAN
    true...my 5.7 is not stock so I should of said H/O i.e. 4 bolt main...tweeked 202 heads, billet crank, rods, cam...stainless head gaskets, high volume oil pump...etc..etc..So get'n a goodwrench 350 off the shelf won't compare to a staock mercruiser...sorry for any confussion.

Run_em_Hard
    true...my 5.7 is not stock so I should of said H/O i.e. 4 bolt main...tweeked 202 heads, billet crank, rods, cam...stainless head gaskets, high volume oil pump...etc..etc..So get'n a goodwrench 350 off the shelf won't compare to a staock mercruiser...sorry for any confussion.
    I think that the main items of differences would have to be the clearences...the gaskets and valves are no big deal cause they can be changed no problem.
    I will have to see if I can find the article that I read and put up some more professional opinions

Ryan00TJ
    I've often wondered to what specs Merc sets their 5.7L engines. Rod, Main, ring gap? PlasmaMoly Rings?
    Assuming you have the space and enough air room to feed the 5.7L you should be fine. I'm running a beefed up Alpha although I have a spare in case it breaks.

TIMINATOR
    The clearances are all different, as is the cam, springs, valves, F.I.system, etc. Install a 350 or 383, skip the 4.3. The article was in last years ***boat mag. TIMINATOR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast