Thread: 455 olds timing questions

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    i am putting my olds back together this weekend and I want to know where should i time it. i called a local guy that builds racing engines and he said 10-15 degree advanced for inital and 34-36 degrees total timing. He also told me to remove the vacume advance. What would you guys do with this motor"besides throw it in the lake "
    I never timed a motor but I think it cant be too hard. i am running around 9-1 comp, and 91 octane pump gas all day.
    [ February 19, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT ]

Jordy
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    What would you guys do with this motor"besides throw it in the lake "
    396 Dammit, I was going to say "Time it so when you hit the count of three you let it go over the side with a rope and buoy for your anchor marker...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    jordanpaulk:
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    What would you guys do with this motor"besides throw it in the lake "
    396 Dammit, I was going to say "Time it so when you hit the count of three you let it go over the side with a rope and buoy for your anchor marker... "Jordy your going to be on my a$$ untill I get my 454 in my other boat huh"

Jordy
    Nah, I dont' care what you run in the monster rooster machine, but it is always fun to give ya shit about it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    ""

ANGEL
    warm the engine up completly. losen up your distribuator hold down clamp,9/16 bolt. turn engine off, advance the dist. or turn clockwise 1/4 turn or more so when you try to start the engine the engine turns real slow but dose not start! NOW TURN THE DISTRIBUATOR counter clockwise so that the engine starts. with out hearing that WOMP WOMP! this is called total advance, but if your engine is pinging under hard axceleration you want to turn the distribuator counterclockwise a little more. till you dont hear that any more cause that can hurt the motor! I run my 455 between 18 to 16 degrees. plug your vacum going to the distrib. when you hook the timeing light up. GOOD LUCK MIKE!!!

wfodude
    that will work fine but Be careful with that or say bye bye to a starter nose. Personally I use a snap on digital timing light and set the screen at 36 degrees line up the timing marks and lock her down.Do this at around 3500 rpm's to make sure you are at full advance.I agree cap off the vac to your advance, better yet get it spot welded so it cant move your timing. If you find it starting with a whump or acting like it has a dead battery when you know its fully charged back the timing off a little. or if your ballsy you could bump it up SLIGHTLY and see if you pick up a few rpm's on the tach. while still starting ok Once again my humble .02

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Thanks guys wink I will copy this and paste it into my 455 olds notebook for tips.