Thread: exhaust tip replacement ?

ck7684
    I need to replace my exhaust tips (thru transom). They are cast and one's broken and the other is cracked. I removed the nuts and studs but they wont budge. I didnt want to force them. There was silicone around them and I cut thru this, but are they epoxied in or something?? Whats the best way to remove these?? What should I know about putting the new ones in??

Ken F
    On my old boat they were corroded & rusted & would not come out. I finally just twisted the studs off from the inside, and then pulled the tip out. You aren't worried about saving them anyway...so don't be gentle!
    Ken F

If they are the bell type and your just gonna sh!t can them , Use a big pipe wrench and twist them first to break anything as far as adhesive or corrosion . Then you can tap on them with a hammer and a 2x4 from the inside making sure you push them out evenly so you dont put a huge chip in the edge of your gel coat . Mine had the hole cut out real tight and in tight quarters it took alot of finesse with the hammer to get mine out . Just an idea though .
    -beerjet-

victorfb
    apply a small amount of gasoline to the silicone. this softens it up and then you can try and seperate them from the hull. cutting is much better than pulling. you can delaminate the glass from the transum if not careful. by the way i have a set of stainles steel angled tips ill let go cheap. $40 they are 4 inch with a 3.5 inch step for the hose.

apply a small amount of gasoline to the silicone. this softens it up and then you can try and seperate them from the hull. cutting is much better than pulling. you can delaminate the glass from the transum if not careful. by the way i have a set of stainles steel angled tips ill let go cheap. $40 they are 4 inch with a 3.5 inch step for the hose.
    Where the hell were these tips two years ago . Damn that's cheap.
    -beerjet-

kp216
    Then you can tap on them with a hammer and a 2x4 from the inside making sure you push them out evenly so you dont put a huge chip in the edge of your gel coat .
    That's how I got mine out as well. 2X4 and a BFH.

ck7684
    Thanks for the tips... If I wanted to increase the size of these what do I need to do to the transom?? Can I just cut new holes??

Cas
    Thanks for the tips... If I wanted to increase the size of these what do I need to do to the transom?? Can I just cut new holes??
    I made almost round plugs that I pressed into the existing holes, centered where I wanted the new holes, taped it all off and then used a hole saw.