Thread: Which drill bit should I use?

probablecause
    Going to be installing a thru-hull fitting for a dump (water, not fecal matter). Which type of bit should I use and is there any particular thing I should do for prep work? Since it is for the presure regulator off of the pump, should it be put out the back or the driver's side (rear area)? Thanks, Brendan

9er
    I've had good luck with these when drilling through fiberglass. And they don't chatter like larger drill bits. Irwin Unibit.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ibit_photo.jpg
    They're like $30 at Home Depot.

Jetaholic
    Going to be installing a thru-hull fitting for a dump (water, not fecal matter). Which type of bit should I use and is there any particular thing I should do for prep work? Since it is for the presure regulator off of the pump, should it be put out the back or the driver's side (rear area)? Thanks, Brendan
    Do it through the transom and I used a hole saw to cut mine. Make sure you put masking tape on the spot where you're drilling to keep from chipping the paint/gelcoat.

MudPumper
    Any bit should work fine. Just tape the area first to prevent the gel from chipping around the hole. I'd run it out the back.

widowmaker
    Like the others said tape it with blue masking tape first, then use a small drill bit to pilot drill and get an accurate center then use a larger bit for the hole size that you want. I would suggest drilling from the outside in, but that is what has worked for me.

tahitijet
    i put both motor dump and bypass dump at the rear on the driver side that way a quick glance back reassures your mind that water is flowing

YeLLowBoaT
    I would not recomend a steped bit to drill into fiberglass...( work great for sheet metal, but anything else your drilling that same hole many, many times)
    A spade, forcener, or hole saw would all work just fine. just tape off the area, start out the outside, once you see the bit start to come thru the other side, finish the hole from the inside.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Get out a set of calipers and check the diameter of the fitting. Then use that size drill bit. Like the others said, use tape so you dont crack the gelcoat. When I do them, I actually drill and tap the transom. This way allows me to screw the cable packer into the transom. Of course this is for the threaded ones
    _Spitter

Nucking futs
    start drilling with the drill in reverse,it wont chip the gell.