Thread: Aluminum Heads In Salt Water?

ghittner
    This is going on a blown 489. I'm trying to decide if my new heads should be aluminum, will they live in salt water with a raw water cooling system? 3/4 of the time will be fresh water the rest will be in the ocean....Thanks.

DMOORE
    This is going on a blown 489. I'm trying to decide if my new heads should be aluminum, will they live in salt water with a raw water cooling system? 3/4 of the time will be fresh water the rest will be in the ocean....Thanks.
    You should get years of service out of aluminum heads in a salt water boat. You just have to be sure the anodesare always in good shape. Also it's a good idea to have cathode protection in your electrical system. Outboats are completely aluminum, and last many, many lears.
    Darrell.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Arent the Mercury heads cast from a corrosion resistant proprietary grade of alluminum the hold the patent on?

cfm
    Get hard anodizing done on the heads! AFR, Edelbrock, Canfield offer this on their heads. I can't remember if Dart does or not? Some others may too ?
    And make sure what is said above is done: flushing, anodes, Mercathode, (what have you) is done.
    I believe it is Rex that sells the Salt-A-Away stuff for rinsing and flushing stuff that comes in contact with salt.
    ===============
    If it's going to see occasional trips to the ocean but get right back in the fresh water, I really don't see a problem. It's if it spends it's life in salt water with no flushing after use or just sitting there in it for a while, then there may be issues.

VDRIVERACING
    You can also buy the salt away at PWC stores, like Yamaha...