Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil in the boat....not in the motor...

tightithrash
    Well went to steam boat and parked next to the big rock, the stereo had no power so i went to the back of the boat and the engine bay is full of oil.
    Thank god the motor never steamed up and that i stoped in steam boat instead of seizing the motor up the river. im pretty sure the main seal went out because of oil around that area. im pullin the motor out this week and im changin the freeze plugs. i have a leaky right header that is dupin water so fixin that also, atleast it happend now and not memorial weekend so i have two weeks to fix it. oh yeah my ground cable came uncrimped...... ill take some pics and keep ya posted.

centerhill condor
    that's some pretty good luck there...maybe you could buy a lottery ticket for me!

SmokinLowriderSS
    One hell of a leak from a mainseal. I'd look elsewhere for that much oil.

Moneypitt
    One hell of a leak from a mainseal. I'd look elsewhere for that much oil.
    I agree. Unless the main seal was left out, you wouldn't fill the bildge with oil. I would look for a busted PLASTIC oil pressure line, or a filter o ring problem. Something in the pressure side of the system, not the reservoir............MP
    PS, it does have a plug in the pan, right?...........

moneysucker
    If you have an oil drain hose, check that. I had my flywheel cut through the rubber drain hose and it made a hell of a mess. I have had a front seal burn up on me and just slung oul everywhere so I am assuming the main seal would do the same but not fill the bilge. I say Ol pressure hose or oil filter with an extra gasket on it from a previous oil change, potentially a wrong oil filter. Many things that may not be that serious.
    cy

bzking
    Well went to steam boat and parked next to the big rock, the stereo had no power so i went to the back of the boat and the engine bay is full of oil.
    Thank god the motor never steamed up and that i stoped in steam boat instead of seizing the motor up the river. im pretty sure the main seal went out because of oil around that area. im pullin the motor out this week and im changin the freeze plugs. i have a leaky right header that is dupin water so fixin that also, atleast it happend now and not memorial weekend so i have two weeks to fix it. oh yeah my ground cable came uncrimped...... ill take some pics and keep ya posted.
    Are you sure your oil pan gasket was not leaking previously ? even a small gasket failure can turn into a blow out and it does not take that much time to give you the results that you mentioned, check for oil up on the pan where it mates to the block..

RCB19
    Cracked pan? That happens. Check to see if pan is possibly hitting the bottom of the boat somewhere.

tightithrash
    im gonna have to check.... i just kind of wrote it off but i need to look more.
    would be good to not pull the motor but if it is the case, im excited to get my hands dirty and learn of of it.

centerhill condor
    im excited to get my hands dirty and learn of of it.
    you'll get over this soon enough! my young friend.

moneysucker
    you'll get over this soon enough! my young friend.
    No joke there. everything I have learned, I have paid dearly for. lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast