Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waxing the bottom of your boat. How do I get it off!

TahitiTiger
    I am visiting my Tahiti this weekend, and decided what the heck I'm going to remove the wax off the bottom of my boat. It is rough and un-even. So what is the best way to remove it? Scraper? It looks like surf wax. I tried some PPG wax and oil remover and to no avail, it didn't even put a dent in it.

dmontzsta
    There is surf wax on the bottom of your boat? that is crazy.

IMPATIENT 1
    There is surf wax on the bottom of your boat? that is crazy.
    man i bet that'd work better than speedcoat!
    why are you removing it???

TahitiTiger
    Yup it looks just like surf wax, and there is a thick coat of it. I am removing it because it is starting to flake off, but also the guy that put it on didn't do very well.

Goad
    weird.....
    so youre saying someone put some of this on the bottom of the boat?
    http://www.coastalsurf.co.uk/product...pg&w=250&h=228
    I could understand if it was on the bow ....for the ones who like to ghost ride the sled
    anyways, to remove it, maybe get a heat gun and a plastic putty knife or even a plastic spatula...plastic would be key so you dont scrape the hell out of your gelcoat.
    make sure you have the heat gun on a low setting and dont hold it too close or in one spot for too long or else you can burn/brown your gelcoat.

El Prosecutor
    I am visiting my Tahiti this weekend, and decided what the heck I'm going to remove the wax off the bottom of my boat. It is rough and un-even. So what is the best way to remove it? Scraper? It looks like surf wax. I tried some PPG wax and oil remover and to no avail, it didn't even put a dent in it.
    How hard is it? Are you sure it is wax? Does ANY of it come off?

AZKC
    Sounds more like clear coat to me.

TahitiTiger
    I can dig my finger nail in to it, and it feels waxy. The boat has never been repainted so unless Tahiti did I real crappy clear coat job on the bottom I doubt its CC. And yes most of the wax is on the bow. You can see it start just bellow the bow eye. Some one also filled all the bolt holes for the pump with a hard epoxy (this could be factory). BTW it is waxed around the around the bunks LOL when the boat is in the water you can see this LOL.

Goad
    And yes most of the wax is on the bow. You can see it start just bellow the bow eye.
    I meant on the top.....as if you were surfing on it at high speeds
    Some one also filled all the bolt holes for the pump with a hard epoxy (this could be factory).
    thats factory...they would seal those up with poxy putty to make them smooth.

TahitiTiger
    I meant on the top.....as if you were surfing on it at high speeds
    Actually the deck of the boat is rough like sand paper (the old metal flake is coming through the gel). So I am sure you could surf the deck if you wanted LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast