Thread: hook or hooking

jstapplayer2003
    ive heard this term used before ...could some help explaining the meaning and possibly and how to correct

El Prosecutor
    ive heard this term used before ...could some help explaining the meaning and possibly and how to correct
    Hook is when the trailing edge of the bottom of the hull "hooks" down into the water further than the few feet of the bottom just ahead of it. You can check it with a 4' straightedge.
    Hook in general tends to bring the bow down, causing more wetted area (i.e. friction) and slows the boat down.
    If you do a search for "bottom blueprinting", "hook", "rocker" (which is the opposite of hook) you will find quite a few threads on guys who have tried to fix the hook in their hulls with varying results. There is more to it than meets the eye!

Goad
    I would also like to add that hook can cause bow steer.
    This is caused at high speeds and the bow steers for you, it can get ugly quick...(the boat spins and pitches you out)

HotDogz

jstapplayer2003
    does it have anything to do with letting of the throttle or shutting down when at a somewhat of a high speed and the rear end wants to swing around

Goad
    does it have anything to do with letting of the throttle or shutting down when at a somewhat of a high speed and the rear end wants to swing around
    yes, that is bow steer.....the nose of the bow digs down and the ass end lifts up because of the hook....causing the bow to steer and the boat wants to spin the ass end around.
    idealy, you want the bottom of your boat flat, front to back, put a 4' straight edge on it and make sure theres no gap

jstapplayer2003
    ok tell me if i got this right.... i put a straight edge on the bottom of the hull extending to at least the shoe plate,then adjust shoe plate so that it also hits the straight edge

El Prosecutor
    Check this thread out - two pages of interesting stuff:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...highlight=hook

jstapplayer2003
    thanks for that post it was VERY explaining and thorough..... awsome detail from everyone ....thanks again