Thread: Idle on a 496 HO

Chickenlips
    My freind has one, and when he comes off plan and into a idle the motor shuts off. It starts back up ok but he has to keep it @ about 1,000 rpm's, as soon as he pulls it back to idle it does the same thing. Question? is there a idle ajustment screw like on a carb?

ULTRA26 # 1
    My freind has one, and when he comes off plan and into a idle the motor shuts off. It starts back up ok but he has to keep it @ about 1,000 rpm's, as soon as he pulls it back to idle it does the same thing. Question? is there a idle ajustment screw like on a carb?
    No I don't believe that there is. The idle is controled by the ECU. Have your friend check for vaccum leaks. Proababally needs a code scanner to diagnose. Just my .02
    John M

SmokinLowriderSS
    A can of either WD-40 or a can of ether (starting fluid) for vaccume leak detecting. The ether will not leave an oily residue to clean off.
    Get the engine to idle as low as possible and spray gasket seam areas. It does not take much. Any of it that is sucked in through a leak will increase the idle speed and smooth it since it is replacing the excess air with a flamable substance that supports combustion. Fix any leaks found.
    Also a good treatment (seveal tankfulls) of fuel injector cleaner is perscribed. The be3st I have ever seen is from BG corporation, called 44K, made locally here in Ks, but I dunno about your availability.
    BG 44K (http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html)
    BG Products (http://www.bgprod.com/home.html)

Blown 472
    TP sensor??? idle bypass dirty?

AZJD
    Fuel filter?

Kachina26
    TP sensor??? idle bypass dirty?
    I've heard of TPS issues, but I would check for vacuum leaks and scan for codes before tossing parts at it.

Beer-30
    Mine would surge up and down and was very rich at idle. I had to keep the stick forward of idle about 1/2" to maintain a smooth 800.
    Ended up the TPS. Check that first.

Chickenlips
    Thanks for the info, Ill pass it along. Jim