Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention Chevy Guys!!! (Steering Info)

HatenWinter
    I wanted to share this with you guys. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY, crew cab, long bed. It's got a 6 inch lift with 35's. Since I bought the truck about 3 months ago I have been very unhappy with the steering. At slow speeds I felt alot of movement in the steering shaft, if felt very "clunky". If I dry steered it even slightly it would make a strange sound too.
    I was thinking maybe I need a steering stabilizer kit or that something was out of whack with the steering or suspension. I was getting ready to start spending some money tomorrow.
    Well, to make this long story longer, a friend of mine called me today and said that GM issued a "service bulliten" for the intermediate shaft which goes into the steering box. The tend to have some play in them which is the reason for the movement I was feeling. They came out with the replacement part 2 months ago and will replace it free of charge. The guy at the dealership said the bad ones are in trucks up to 2006. There won't be a re-call because it's not a safety item.
    I took mine to the dealer today and they swapped it out in 30 minutes. I can not believe how well the truck steers now, it's rock solid. Mine may have been exagerted due to the bigger tires. I would have given it a D+ before, now it's a A+. If you're having the same issues, take it to the dealer and have them fix it, you'll be happy you did. See, some things in life ARE FREE!!!

squirt'nmyload
    love them service bulletins.....we had our denali in for service last week and had 1 freebie done. new slip yoke for the rear driveshaft

sigepmock
    A bunch of the guys on Diesel Place.com have had the new shaft for awhile and that the clunk comes back in a few months. I've had my intermediate shaft replaced twice already on my 05 and getting the new one as we speak. Hopefully it lasts longer than the last two.
    Chris

HatenWinter
    A bunch of the guys on Diesel Place.com have had the new shaft for awhile and that the clunk comes back in a few months. I've had my intermediate shaft replaced twice already on my 05 and getting the new one as we speak. Hopefully it lasts longer than the last two.
    Chris
    You just burst my bubble, that sucks! I can't believe they can't make it a permanent fix.

sigepmock
    You just burst my bubble, that sucks! I can't believe they can't make it a permanent fix.
    Sorry, I think we are all a little ticked about Chevy's inability to come up with a good fix.....but it's just a nusience item and not a safety deal so it doesn't get the same attention. At least this fix is supposed to last a little longer before the "clunk" comes back.

Kachina26
    Before they had the new shaft, there was a special lube kit that took care of it for awhile.

shippingguy
    I have had the new shaft for a while now and put many miles on it and it has been great. I got it a few months back. It now has a tephlon sleeve. If the you replace it and the noise is there or comes back it is the lower column bearing that has gone bad. Had that changed out and it took maybe 15 minutes and all is good.

HatenWinter
    This is comforting All along I was thinking it was just my truck. Oh well, hopefully this new shaft will last a long time...

spectratoad
    Before they had the new shaft, there was a special lube kit that took care of it for awhile.
    Isn't that the service department motto at most dealerships????

Kachina26
    Isn't that the service department motto at most dealerships????
    It was an official kit, complete with an installation tool that required a 3 foot pry bar to pack it in. Now the last part is pretty standard at some shops :sqeyes:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast