Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thrust clearance

4604me
    whats the deal on thrust clerance, how much is to much, and do you need that tight clerance for a mild lake cruser.

Duane HTP
    Setting the pump up right is good for any boat. The norm for what you are doing is about .025".

4604me
    so I install my new sholdered wear ring, and new A.T. impeller in my berk JC and I get .080 with no shims, so do I turn the shaft down .050, or cut the impeller to git a closer clerance. or am I missing somthing altogether.

Duane HTP
    You cut the center of the impeller down some. To mess with the shaft will work, but makes it an odd duck from then on. Be sure to do it on a Bridgeport or such to keep the front of the impeller that goes against the shaft shoulder perpendicular to the leading edge of the impeller or it can wobble.

inwo
    What is the tightest you can get by with? I might not have enough shims.
    Dominator book says .015 is typical. This is in Dominator with wide wr.

Squirtin Thunder
    Some folks run .010 !!! (Race Pumps)
    I set-up most Lake and River pumps (Family boats) up at .030+

Some folks run .010 !!! (Race Pumps)
    I set-up most Lake and River pumps (Family boats) up at .030+
    Jim this is for a shouldered wearring, .025 is the spec for aluminum impellers, and less with Bronze or SS on race pumps. The Aluminum impeller will tend to grow and move foreward some.
    Sleek

Squirtin Thunder
    It is quite interesting that Berkeley had a habbit of setting the pumps up at .120+ from the factory. I have seen a few that have been over .250. But they have also lasted 30 plus years. With a new set-up .030+ is a good safe #, being that the thrust bearing will change thrust clearance on you as it breaks in.
    If I am correct Daunes Ultimate wear ring is set at .020 on the bench and after break in it is most likely at .010, I was on meds when I talked to duane about this so I could be way wrong.

4604me
    is this unusual to have to cut something to get the right clerance. I thought for sure I would have to shim because old wear ring had no shoulder.

Squirtin Thunder
    Like I have said some pumps have come from Berkeley with .250+ thrust clearance. So no it is done regularly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast