Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous Article in ***boat

Taylorman
    I just read the nitrous article in the new ***boat. Did anyone catch the paragraph that said to match your impeller to the engines hp with the nitrous. It stated that nitrous would require on cut larger impeller. Im not understanding that. It has always been my understanding that you want to cut your impeller to allow the engine to run at its peak hp. If this is done right, when you add nitrous it will just allow the engine to spin it even faster. Why would you want to go to a larger impeller?

Look at it this way if you run Nitrous, you want it for peak perfomance, and no you don't run it all the time, so when you do, your set-up is ready for it. MPH may be down slightly when not in use, but you want the max result in the end.
    Sleek

GUGS102
    If you have the set up at max without juice and you add a shot and the adjusted RPM is off the end of the cam then you will not realize the entire benefit for the silly gas.
    The other thing to remember is if you set the cut one larger to bring your non nitroused RPM down a bit and you add the bottle you gain the juice HP AND difference in HP between the lower non nitrous HP and the greater HP because you put the motor into the sweet spot by raising the RPM with the bottle.
    So if you make max hp at 6K and with your larger impeller you can only turn 5500 obviously you are losing HP. Then you hit the bottle and it gives you 500 RPM you gain the shot HP and the motor difference between 5500 and 6000 effectively increasing the benefit of the juice.

BrendellaJet
    If you have the set up at max without juice and you add a shot and the adjusted RPM is off the end of the cam then you will not realize the entire benefit for the silly gas.
    Im no expert, but for most jets Im willing to bet that the motor is not using all of the cam that it has because the pump is limiting the rpm. The motor would need better heads, more compression etc to take full advantage of the cam, or nitrous...

GUGS102
    I was thinking the same thing after I posted. I was thinking that most combos (lake boat) are not matched to the exact RPM/HP for optimum speed. But the statement remains true that if you are knowlingly or unknowingly under the sweet spot you will gain the intitial shot and more by bringing the motor into it's sweet spot and allow it to make max HP. Without dyno time, this is very difficult or impossible to have a 100% accurate set up. But I would say that there are enough combos on this board to get a really good guestimate based on others trials and errors. I'm not an expert either, but he principal is simple. Similar to running a smaller impeller to allow the motor to turn more RPM to generate max HP.

steelcomp
    Lets say you're making 650 hp @ 6000rpm , turning a B impeller. Then you ad a 150 shot. Now you're making 800 @ 6000rpm. You aren't going to need a B with 800 hp @ 6000. You could go to an A with the added HP. An A, at 6000 will definately move more water than a B at 6000. That's why you would want to go another cut with the nitrous. The idea behind nitrous isn't to be able to increase rpm, it's to increase HP. The more HP you're making at any given rpm, the bigger impeller you can turn. It's really very simple.

Duane HTP
    You aren't going to need a B with 800 hp @ 6000. You could go to an A with the added HP.
    You guys are exactly right.
    N20 needs a bigger impeller if you already have your engine / impeller combo correct. Put your engine on the dyno. Find your peak HP. Now hit the n20. Hell yes you make more power, BUT it is at a little lower RPM. Thus, bigger impeller for N2O.

sdba069
    What you guys are saying makes perfect sense, but I have seen more than once where the performance increase with the N2O was greater with the smaller impeller than with the larger one. One example, I normally ran a "D" cut Aggressor mag bronze in the PLJ boat at around 7100 RPM. In PLJ form, we had problems qualifying the boat at Smokin In The Cove in the 7 second bracket, so I added a 150 shot with a timer on 3 seconds. The boat would only run 7.15 to 7.17, remember it's a 1000', with no N2O. So I installed a "C" cut and on the bottle, the motor turned 7400 and ran 7.08 with a 3 second squirt. There was a 1.5 second delay from the time I went full throttle until the N2O came on, then the N20 cane on for 3 seconds. I came back and reinstalled the "D" cut. Didn't change the tune-up and went 6.98 at 7750 RPM. In both cases, I took 3 degrees of timing out when the nitrous came on. On a similar note, we've gone away from the bigg impellers in our blown lake boats. I'm running "B"'s in the majority of our blown, carbed gas motors. They seem to run much better. The cruising RPM is a little higher but the overall performance is noticably better.

TIMINATOR
    With the delay before hit, the impeller size controls the launch and under those particular circumstances WITH YOUR combination I'm sure it does what you say. If you run with no delay the results will be different, and as normally expected. TIMINATOR

IMPATIENT 1
    Run A Nitrous Cam,it Takes Alittle Guess Work Out When You Know What Rpm Range You Want The Power In.i Picked Out A Cam That Was Spec'd To Build The Most Power In The 5500-6000 Range On The Juice And That's How Fast I Turn My Berk A At Wot(button Down).5800-6000 Depending On Water Conditions. I've Had Guys That Run Huge 300-500hp Shots On Their Boats That Say My Little 200hp Shot Feels Like It Has More Punch.i Think Its Because The Nitrous Cam Takes Full Advantage Of The No2,standard Cams Have Problems Managing The Excess Exhaust From No2.
    T-man, I Run The Same Hull As You And If It Has At Least 500hp On The Motor And A 150-200hp Shot Then I'd Stick With An Berk A Or At Aa.i've Got My Taylor Pretty Dialed In After Last Summer And I Think Its At Its Peak Hull Potential,mid 80's @5800rpm.if I Stepped To A Bigger Cut I'm Sure I Wouldn't Like The Rpm Range I'd See Runnin 85mph On The Bottle.i'm Runnin A Healthy Bbf And They Stay Together Well Under 6k Rpm So I'll Stick With A Impellor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast