Thread: Header water pickup

infotraker
    Currently my bassett water pickup is from the floor, force fed. I just added a shutoff valve for towing in water purposes (to keep water from getting in engine if towing). Is this the best setup ? If the motor quits while at speed will water get to the engine with no exhaust to pull it thru headers ? Should I change setup to get water from a tee on output side of water pump ? Thanks !

DetroitJim
    Well I never heard of it being done that way, but who am I to say. You are right though, if the boat is moving without the engine running, you have a problem. The way it is supposed to work is to take water from the engine, usually at the intake crossover or back of the intake. The outlet needs to be throttled back with a valve so that at 1500 to 2000 rpm the block pressure reaches 6 lbs. and overcomes the spring inside the Bassett tee valve. On my deal, I have a valve coming off the pump, one from the pump to a bypass, one on each outlet, and one before the headers. I fiddle with all of them until the water comes on correctly and then open the bypass until it reaches the correct temp. The water to the headers needs to be restricted until it just fogs the headers with steam. No raw water should blow from the pipes. If you attempt to use a thermostat, the water pressure will fluctuate as the t-stat cycles.
    I will post some pics of my rig when I can.
    DJ

Sangster 79
    If you run a pressure tee you can also restrict it so less water goes to the headers by drilling a small hole in the center of a dime & place it inside the tee.

coolchange
    Leave it fed thru the bottom. this gives you no water at idle and doesnt interfer with the water pump. I assume its on a flat cause you said water pump. I ran that set-up for years on my sanger with a valve to limit max water flow.