Thread: Strut Bushing Wear???

Highlimit9000
    Only have 5 Hrs on these Fiber bushings...Pic is of the front of the strut. As can see wear is already throught the water guides. the back bushing is not as bad, but still has play in it. Only thing I have changed is a bran new prop. I do not run the boat out of water...Any suggestions?
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199strut3-med.JPG[/img]

Fiat48
    All wear one side like that i would suspect some alignment problems.

My guess would be the same as Fiats, alignment. Did this problem exist with your old prop. If the new prop is out of balance which I find unlikely, it could cause wear also.

Highlimit9000
    Just spoke with Tom... Figured it out. i did not align currectly when I put V-Drive box back in..Thanks for the help again Tom... Wealth of Knowledge!!! John

GofastRacer
    corleone17:
    Just spoke with Tom... Figured it out. i did not align currectly when I put V-Drive box back in..Thanks for the help again Tom... Wealth of Knowledge!!! John Glad you got it straightend out!. One thing I learned a long time ago is when you line up a v-drive, you always put a new strut bushing in so there's no slop. A slight bit at at the strut, is a whole bunch at the v-drive end which will put it out of alignment, then you put a new bushing in and it will wear itself straight to the shaft and then you have slop in the strut!.Not cool!... frown

Highlimit9000
    Allignment wasn't all the problem. Was still wearing way too fast after correct allignment. Found out today that shaft was .060 out at the prop. Maybe for the best cause now I can get a Aquamet 22 from Tom... Just cant let the wife find out!!$$$$ John...

GofastRacer
    Shit, just take her out to dinner and all that good stuff and then tell her it's all the interest of safety, she might even buy it for ya!..

DansBlown73Nordic
    That was my thought from the start. Bent and walking sideways...