Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine miss

Taylorman
    Saturday we did a little skiing. When i would hit the gas, motor would miss and sputter just a few times till the rpms got up a little. Its not bad, but its not right.After that all the way to wot, ran like a top. It would only miss under hard initial acceleration. This is the first time ive had this problem. I ran it weekend before last and i did not notice the miss.

Taylorman
    Bueler, Bueler?
    Would moisture under the dist. cap cause this?

502 JET
    I doubt the moisture would help.
    Check your fuel water seperator.
    If you are running power valves you may have popped one flooding the engine at lower rpms.

Taylorman
    Everything i have read regarding new Holley carbs is that powervalves do not blow out anymore. Ive read that only real old Holley carbs blew powervalves.

502 JET
    The power valve may not have blown out. But they can still go bad.
    IE: the diaphram expired
    PV's may not blow out if you have the blowout prevention check valve in your carb. Newer carbs may have these. (not positive if all carbs come with it) These pv check valves are also available to retro fit older carbs.

Beer-30
    How old is the coil? Almost sounds like weak spark under a load.

Taylorman
    Coil is a year or two old. I had 3 coils go out since ive owned this boat. They were MSD Blaster SS coils. Last time it went out, i replaced it with a Blaster 2 coil.

centerhill condor
    I'm going with accellerator pump. This can be easily diagnosed by removing the flame arrestor and manually engaging the pump and see/hear fuel shooting into the venturi area. (with engine off)
    Ordinarily, I'd go with fuel seperator this early in the season but you do OK at wot after the stall.

Taylorman
    The more i think about it the more i think it may be electrical. I dont think its accelerator pump. I think it would stumble if it were accel pump. It just misses a few times the when it gets out of the hole, its ok.

Beer-30
    The more i think about it the more i think it may be electrical. I dont think its accelerator pump. I think it would stumble if it were accel pump. It just misses a few times the when it gets out of the hole, its ok.
    Could easily just be a plug wire or two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast