Thread: Registering your out of state boat

Riverdog1
    I got my new plates for AZ for the Tahoe but they said I had to go to "Fish and Game" to Register the boat. I don't have a title but I don't want to have to go to CA to get a copy. How do I do this? I have a friend who lives in Ca that registered his boat in AZ. Can I register this in CA and be legal? Do I have to remove the CF Number Custom painted on the hull and replace it?? Any help would be appreciated...

justfloatn
    I purchased my boat in AZ and brought it to CA. And I remember the seller telling me that AZ is a paperless state on boats. Meaning they don't have "pink slips" for boats. I did not get a title with my boat, but did get one for the trailer. CA made a title for the boat. They did have a state to state book at the CA DMV to look up and verify that AZ was paperless. So they will probably do the same in AZ and make you have a title from CA.

TUNNEL T
    just my .02 wherever you do most of your boating i would register there ,avoid the hassle from the boyz and it will make your weekend of boating better all the way around ! once again this is just my .02 TUNNEL T

Boatcop
    You will need the old title to register the boat in AZ. If you plan to use the boat more than half the time on the Colorado River, then you can leave the boat registered in CA. Just make sure you send in a change of address to the DMV. The trailer will have to be registered in AZ, since you are now a resident.
    If you're going to do most of your boating on AZ lakes, you should change it to AZ. You may be able to get a duplicate title from CA through the mail.
    And if you do change to AZ registration they will issue you new registration numbers, so the old CF numbers will need to be removed. You can register the boat either through the mail to AZ Game and Fish, or just go down to their office. It's not far from you, Greenway Road just east of I-17.

Riverdog1
    You will need the old title to register the boat in AZ. If you plan to use the boat more than half the time on the Colorado River, then you can leave the boat registered in CA. Just make sure you send in a change of address to the DMV. The trailer will have to be registered in AZ, since you are now a resident.
    If you're going to do most of your boating on AZ lakes, you should change it to AZ. You may be able to get a duplicate title from CA through the mail.
    And if you do change to AZ registration they will issue you new registration numbers, so the old CF numbers will need to be removed. You can register the boat either through the mail to AZ Game and Fish, or just go down to their office. It's not far from you, Greenway Road just east of I-17.
    Thanks for the info. I do about half and half from CA to AZ and since the CF #'s are custom painted on the boat, I would rather not mess with that. I have a Permanent tag on the trailer, so it doesn't need a year sticker. I do want to get it registered here but will that be a problem on the road if I wanted to use it before the slow CA system gets me a duplicate title for the trailer. You say a current CA sticker is ok here?? Just want to be legal.:idea:

acatitude
    did that paperless title thing once ( was an option and became a pain in the ass when I sold boat). you can reg your boat thru fish and game in az by mail. just keep your trailer ca if thats where you live.
    depending on value of your boat it may be cheaper to change cf #"s then pay pers prop tax on boat...

zudnic
    I do want to get it registered here but will that be a problem on the road if I wanted to use it before the slow CA system gets me a duplicate title for the trailer. You say a current CA sticker is ok here?? Just want to be legal.:idea:
    Not sure about Cali. Interesting topic cause I have 3 choices of jurisdiction in which to register my vehicles.
    Most places give some grace period to get things in your name. Most places for this reason require the seller to report the sale of vehicles, etc within 5 or so day's. Tells the DMV you no longer have liability as owner, the buyer does. Most times if your stop a bill of sale and proof of insurance is all you need if tabs are still valid on a car. I bought my car in avatar in little rock and drove it back on the previous owners valid plate and was stopped in California with no problems, Oregon and home state of Washington also accepted this. But with most traffic situations, some Police Officers may still cite you even if legal. Safest bet is get it registered and get the instant print out of proof of registration in your name......

Just foreplay
    did that paperless title thing once ( was an option and became a pain in the ass when I sold boat). you can reg your boat thru fish and game in az by mail. just keep your trailer ca if thats where you live.
    depending on value of your boat it may be cheaper to change cf #"s then pay pers prop tax on boat...
    As BC stated, Ca has "luxury" tax, which I believe is 1.25% of the value of the boat. Yes, that can vary. Example, mine is an 06, yet as of April of 07, they did not have any listings for a 06 in the blue book. And they would not use the 05 model.. So they thought they would use local magine prices, my comment to them, that does not represent the value, only the value to that person...Anyway long story, but got Ca. to use the 05 blue book values..
    Just keep in mind, California wants to stick there hand in your pocket. And they are not trying to play with your balls...lol

Riverdog1
    Not sure about Cali. Interesting topic cause I have 3 choices of jurisdiction in which to register my vehicles.
    Most places give some grace period to get things in your name. Most places for this reason require the seller to report the sale of vehicles, etc within 5 or so day's. Tells the DMV you no longer have liability as owner, the buyer does. Most times if your stop a bill of sale and proof of insurance is all you need if tabs are still valid on a car. I bought my car in avatar in little rock and drove it back on the previous owners valid plate and was stopped in California with no problems, Oregon and home state of Washington also accepted this. But with most traffic situations, some Police Officers may still cite you even if legal. Safest bet is get it registered and get the instant print out of proof of registration in your name......
    I was asking, because I moved here from Cali (to AZ) but but I can't find my titles to either. I can re-register Cali so I can go boating or I have a whole other dilemma on my hands trying to get titles. Just don't want to get bothered at the lake. I get bothered enough with this boat as it is.

Sherpa
    if your cf numbers are current for 07 then just run it.... wait till summer's
    over to change it to AZ. that being said, I'd start up with Calif DMV now on
    obtaining a duplicate title for boat and trailer. it always takes longer than
    you think it should, so start getting the paperwork going now.
    duplicate titles are either free, or cost very little.
    --Sherpa
    rubbing compound will remove the hand-lettered CF numbers off your hull.