Thread: GMC 8.1 intermittant engine cut-out:

Trailer Park Casanova
    Every now and again, our 8.1 will die for a second or two, then resume.
    Engine cuts off completely, but truck has full instrumentation and electrical.
    Could this be the crankshaft position sensor?
    Can the 2001 trucks engine history be diagnosed?
    We're fixing to do a 7000 mile hot lap around the USA, and would changing out the sensor be the prudent thing to do before we depart?
    Thanks for any imput.

Kaotic
    Hopefully you will find an OBD code causing the problem. I am not sure about your vehicle, but on some you can turn the key on, off, on 3 times, and a code will pop up on the digital dash.
    You should be able find out if you can do this on your vehicle looking on the net.
    If not, stop in at an Auto Zone and have them check your OBD codes. Free check. If there is a code they can tell you which part needs replaced.
    Good luck.

Outnumbered
    I just looked at a 2004 Yukon 8.1 that was doing that. The seller told me he had just put in a fuel pump and that was the symtom before it died. May want to have it checked.

CampbellCarl
    TPC
    Have an '01 Silverado with the 8.1. Had that problem a few years ago. Mine was the camshaft sensor. $65.00 or so for the part and an hour or so to install. Good luck!
    CC

Trailer Park Casanova
    Thanks for the info.

BowTie Rick
    My buddy's did that too. His was a worn out ignition switch. The key tumblers got loose and would vibrate enough to kill the ignition.

Outnumbered
    Looks like we're really narrowing it down for him

Trailer Park Casanova
    TPC
    Have an '01 Silverado with the 8.1. Had that problem a few years ago. Mine was the camshaft sensor. $65.00 or so for the part and an hour or so to install. Good luck!
    CC
    Where did you find the part?
    My local dealer wants $128.99.
    Thanks

Trailer Park Casanova
    My buddy's did that too. His was a worn out ignition switch. The key tumblers got loose and would vibrate enough to kill the ignition.
    Ignition stays on and lit, all instrumentation, just a quicky burp from the motor.

hondajoey
    there is a crankshaft position sensor and also a camshaft sensor that will cause this problem. i have a 2001 gmc 8.1l with the allison. i changed the crankshaft sensor and it worked for awhile then i had to change the camshaft sensor because it started doing the same thing agian, its an easy fix, problems started at about 120,000. miles. i have 130k now and the transfercase is going out. becareful because mine shut off while driving one time and wouldnt start for backup for a few hours