Thread: MSD Plug wires

Taylorman
    I bought a new set of MSD plug wires and got them in yesterday. I bought the universal fit ones which require one end to be made up. This is the first time it did this. Who has experience doing this. I followed the directions and made them all up like the directions said, then when i was done i pulled a boot off my old plugs and the end was crimped differently. My old wires came all assembled.
    My old wires had the center conductor crimped in the center of the terminal and then the other crimp on the terminal crimps around the wire. The directions that i followed said to bend the conductor and slip the terminal over the wire crimping the conductor between the wire and the terminal. I dont foresee a problem since the conductor is crimped tight but i was just wondering if anyone has had a problem when making up wires.

TahitiTiger
    I have used MSD universal fit wires several times. Follow the instructions just as stated. They work excelent every time Tuck the electrode between the wire and the copper connector, give it a crimp, and all is happy.

Taylorman
    Good to know that. I was just concerned when i looked at my old wires that are not universal and they were done differently.

Devilman
    My old wires had the center conductor crimped in the center of the terminal and then the other crimp on the terminal crimps around the wire. The directions that i followed said to bend the conductor and slip the terminal over the wire crimping the conductor between the wire and the terminal. I dont foresee a problem since the conductor is crimped tight but i was just wondering if anyone has had a problem when making up wires.
    That is the same way my Accel wires are. (Think they're Accel, they're yellow anyway, LOL.) First set I ever had to crimp my own ends on, 3 years later they are still doing fine.

No worries. If you followed the direction you wont have a problem but if you have OT headers make sure you route them far enough away from the pee holes in the bottom of the headers. If you don't you'll burn your wires. Don't ask how I know

N281PONY
    Should have given me a call...Got it down to duing a set in no time. Had to make a set up for the turbo car the other night. Just a note for the Ford guys....Use the Motorsports wires...the boots snap on better than the MSD ones.

Hey Pony. That is one funny as hell signature........

Taylorman
    Should have given me a call...Got it down to duing a set in no time. Had to make a set up for the turbo car the other night. Just a note for the Ford guys....Use the Motorsports wires...the boots snap on better than the MSD ones.
    Send me your number again. You need to come by one night when im outside working on the boat. Gonna be out at Henderson sunday afternoon if you want to come.

N281PONY
    Hey Pony. That is one funny as hell signature........
    Thanks...A guy told me that years ago at the track when we were testing a new nitrous set up....He also gave me some more advice that I've always been scared to try...Pill it to you kill it.