Thread: Steering ?

Taylorman
    So my boat seams to be out of alignment. If i let go of the steering wheel the wheel will slowly turn to the right. Does anyone elses do this?

TahitiTiger
    I thought read somewhere on here that was normal on some boats?
    My Tahiti though does not do that. I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight for ever. What tees me off is that my steering wheel isn't straight

Taylorman
    You should have a way to adjust it. What kind of steering wheel, steering system and pump do you have? If you dont have an adjustment, you can pull the steering shaft out of the rack and turn it a few teeth. Not hard to do, you just have to remove the retaining ring that holes the steering shaft in.

TahitiTiger
    You should have a way to adjust it. What kind of steering wheel, steering system and pump do you have? If you dont have an adjustment, you can pull the steering shaft out of the rack and turn it a few teeth. Not hard to do, you just have to remove the retaining ring that holes the steering shaft in.
    Berkeley pump, I am sure it is a Morse rack and pinion. Steering wheel is your bassic grant/moon/whatever 14" dished foam grip wheel. I tried to pull the hub adaptor off once, but it was stuck real good. So I didn't press the matter out of fear of breaking something.

Duane HTP
    Next time at the lake, put a piece of tape on the top of the steering wheel when the boat is running straight. When you get home. turn the wheel to where the nozzle is straight again, (tape back on top). Now go under the dash and loosen the four bolts that hold the rack to the pinion gear. Let it drop down far enough to clear the pinion teeth. Now turn the steering wheel to where it is straight. Tighten the four bolts back up. Presto! Steering wheel now straight.

Taylorman
    Duane, you have suggestions about my issue?

MWJSOne
    Maybe time for a New cable and bushings in the Jet Nozzel it self they do tend to wear out.

Taylorman
    New cable and one year old diverter.