Thread: Thermostat Or No Thermostat

onery2max
    I Have New Jet With 500 Horse 502 Engine I Am Running A Dual Thermostat Setup It Seems To Work Ok But The Temp Fluctuates From 160 To 195 Constintly While You Are On The Lake. Is This Right Or Is Anyone Else Running This Setup?
    Thanks

502 JET
    I don't run a thermostat.
    But regardless of what your running you will get some temp fluctuation.
    When you go slow the engine may heat up cause your not getting the same water pressure as when you have the rpms up @ cruising speed.
    160-195 is nothing to worry about, its perfect.

Nubbs
    I have the Rex marine thermostat on my boat. Engine runs between 160 and 190 all the time. I would recommend one to anybody.

OverKill
    Nope don't have one here. I just have my intake valve and exit valve dead nuts. Are you running water injected headers or running dry??

onery2max
    I Run Water Injected Headers. I Didnt Want To Run No Thermostat With The Aluminum Heads In The Cooler Months When Water Temps Are Low And The Engine Temp Would Still Be Higher. Just A Thought

centerhill condor
    thermostat with pressure reducing set up...

Jetaholic
    160-190 is very normal for a thermostat setup. As mentioned before the engine will heat up when going slow due to less water pressure.
    Also, when the thermostat opens up, all that cold water rushes into the block to push the hot water out, which cools it back down to 160, which closes the thermostat back up, and allows the block to heat up again.

LuckyDaze
    How are you guys with thermostats and headers solving the problem of thermal shock when that thermostat opens up? I know with logs you can "pre-heat" the water going into the block so you don't drop 50 degree river water into a block that is running at 180 degrees. Thanks fellas!
    ~Brian