Thread: Removing paint off gel coat

OUTLAW HALLETT
    any one know a product that will eat the paint off the top of gelcoat without screwing up the gel ? and please be 100% sure it wont kill the gelcoat thank you billy

OverKill
    What kind of paint is it?? Where is the paint at?? Is it just over spray??

YeLLowBoaT
    As was mentioned above it depends on the paint. Lots of solvents out there will bubble that paint right off. i would start with some lacquer thinner on a rag in an area that is not really vizable and see what happends.
    Also normally there is a reason why a boat gets painted... lots of times its do to a damaged gel coat.

OUTLAW HALLETT
    i dont know what kinda paint it is its just the cap of the boat mainly on the back and some stripes on the bow im not planning on going back to original gel but i want to get the old pant off to repaint and sanding is hard going ya know it would make my life lots better if i could just put stripper on it and sand after to finish it out i was thinking about aircraft stipper does anyone know if it will kill the gel? also i tried thinner and it only lifted the clear not the thick ass paint below it thanks again billy

victorfb
    are you sure the "thick ass paint' is not actually gel coat?
    take a small amount of 400 sand paper and give it a quik sand. just enough to get some dust. then smell the paper. if it smells like resin, it is gel coat. if it smells like paint, its paint.

OUTLAW HALLETT
    Its Paint

Xlration Marine
    Gosh and to think after this weekend you will see a thread on what paint to use to fix a repair. When they do just let them know what a pain in the ass it is and that it doesn't work. Better yet let them come over and sand your's off, that should teach them. Paint on a boat, will they ever learn?? Good luck with it and your elbo.