Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression on pump gas

BOFH
    OK. Everyone talks about what they run "on pump gas." But what is pump gas? I am about to redo some engines, and am planning compression... What are people running? Also, I can always get regular, can almost always get "plus" and can often (but often not) get premium. So, survey time!
    What are you running in compression, fuel (regular, plus, or premium 87/89/93) and cam (stock, warm, hot) without getting detonation? Let the games begin!

gnarley
    Man where are you at that you can get 93 octane? Up here in nor-cal 91 octane is about it, does anyone else know where to find pump gas better that 91?

Chillin The Most
    Stock 454, Usually I run the plus(89 octane), sometimes when I don't feel like spending the extra money I run the 87 octane for $1.29 a gallon, when I first got this ride I always ran the Sunoco Ultra 94 octane but at $1.44 a gallon its a waste of money on a stock motor. One place here in PA. has 100 octane, but it is 16 miles out of my way.
    MIKE Originally posted by BOFH:
    OK. Everyone talks about what they run "on pump gas." But what is pump gas? I am about to redo some engines, and am planning compression... What are people running? Also, I can always get regular, can almost always get "plus" and can often (but often not) get premium. So, survey time!
    What are you running in compression, fuel (regular, plus, or premium 87/89/93) and cam (stock, warm, hot) without getting detonation? Let the games begin!

69 Elim
    on my ski boat, 350 8.5 to 1 compression, mild cam, I burn the cheapest gas I can find. never a problem.

77charger
    On my old samll block in my el camino i had 10-1 flat tops and 64 cc heads warm cam it ran on 87 fine.
    on my boat i have 11-1 bbf429 it will bearly take 92 if i back the timing down to 30.Normally i run av gas or 1/2 of 110 and 38 timing it is fine then.

BOFH
    I am in Houston, so you probably get your 91 from us. :-) However, what are you Nor Cal guys running on 91? So far, I have only one response... 10 to 1 with a warm cam on 87 octane.

Thunderbutt
    I have 11.5 compression and can only get 91 oct gas I use an octain booster. timing at 36. I alwayes run it a little on the fat side, just in case. I would keep the compression down incase you want to go with Blowers or Turbos Originally posted by BOFH:

Havasu Hangin'
    Don't forget the size of the cam/heads (gasket) will affect final compression...
    The HH Tugboat SBC runs 10-1 pistons, 70cc chambers, 222/230 (112 LSA) cam, 36 total timing, aluminum heads, runs @ 150 degress...91+ octane
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by gnarley:
    Man where are you at that you can get 93 octane? Up here in nor-cal 91 octane is about it, does anyone else know where to find pump gas better that 91?
    Here in the midwest, we have 87, 89, and 93. Sometimes I even see 94. I know from my Calif. days that 92 was the best I could get. I am not sure why this is, but it is!

gnarley
    Hey TB how much and what type of octane boost do you use in your mix?
    Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
    I have 11.5 compression and can only get 91 oct gas I use an octain booster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast