Thread: fuel tank mounting brackets

my hondo has two 9.5 gal tanks mounted on the left and right sides. The bolts holding the brackets go through the floor, the hex of the bolt on the bottom side of the boat. REXONE answered a question about water pickups and said it was possible for the large old style scoop types to cause drag on my hondo runner. What about the fuel tank bolts? Is this the standard way they are mounted? Should I change the bolts to a different style?

Gunny,
    The Hondo I just sold had flat head counter sunk fasteners. I'm pretty sure this is the mormal way togo. Also, My boat originaly came from the factory with only one bolt holding each bracket. Over time this broke all the brackets. Make sure whoever installed the bolts took the time to install two on each bracket. Installing two on each usually requires a spacer for the outside of the bracket, on most flats especialy runners, the floor is not flat on the inside. (Stepped). I glassed in some plywood.
    Good luck, Post some pic's of the Battle Wagon.
    \
    Morg

Cole Man II
    Gunslinger,
    Everything hanging underneath your boat will cause drag, and by default slow you down. But the question is, does a 1/100th of a second really matter on the lake. Do you really care?
    As for the gas tank bolts, when your runner takes a set these will most likely be out of the water. Just my thoughts.
    Cole Man.

smalls
    Counter sink them , It's also CLEANERRRR

superdave013
    I would put some counter sunk ones in and recess them a lil. Then you can smooth over them with some sea goin (or what ever that stuffs called) putty.
    Not that you will notice a big difference at the lake, but hex head bolts under the boat is just hack.

Cole Man II:
    Gunslinger,
    Everything hanging underneath your boat will cause drag, and by default slow you down. But the question is, does a 1/100th of a second really matter on the lake. Do you really care?
    As for the gas tank bolts, when your runner takes a set these will most likely be out of the water. Just my thoughts.
    Cole Man.Cole Man, Would you have hex heads sticking out the bottom of your hull?
    Morg.

Cole Man II
    Morg:
    Cole Man II:
    Gunslinger,
    Cole Man.Cole Man, Would you have hex heads sticking out the bottom of your hull?
    Morg.No F%%CKING WAY MAN!!
    [ August 28, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Cole Man II ]

Sangster
    And he can wash the inside of a hydro real quick to.....Ha-Ha eek!

Sangster:
    And he can wash the inside of a hydro real quick to.....Ha-Ha eek! If your gonna borrow something bring it back cleaner than when you took it.
    Morg