Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with holley

jungledave
    I am having aproblem with my olds running rich, very rich. Took the boat to Texoma and ran perfect plug color. Dragged it to Tablerock in misouri and running very rich. It ran rich at pueble in colorado but I expected that at 4500 feet. Checked jets and had 70 P and 80S on a marine 730 cfm. Holley original call for 69 P and 79S. Changed primarys to 68s and no difference. Wondering about the powervalve? Float adjustment is perfect. I have had a little trouble with backfire during new distributor tuning.

Tn_River_Ratt
    put other jets back in and replace the powervalve. They don't like backfires.

jungledave
    put other jets back in and replace the powervalve. They don't like backfires.I'll check it right now I new they don't like the backfires but I wasnt sure I swhould change it, thanks.

jungledave
    the powervalve seems to be fine It will hold vacume for as long as it wants so the diaphram is OK what now??

Blown 472
    How much vacuum you have at idle? and what pv do you have in it?

jungledave
    How much vacuum you have at idle? and what pv do you have in it?well at the risk of sounding ignorant, I don't know. It is probably the rebuild kit supplied PV. All I know is that at Texoma it ran right, plug color wise. I went to a new hei set up, took it to pueblo and it ran very rich wich I expected for the altitude. I brought it down to table rock and it still runs rich and uses quite a bit of fuel. Tried the above rejet on primary and didn't seem to help. It is a stock olds so no big cam and I don't have a vacume guage to adjust anything at idle ect. To my understanding if the powervalve holds vacume it should be OK, right?

Blown 472
    Well what the pv does is add fuel to the main metering system, so if you are flowing fuel thru that and the pv is open then yes fuel is going thru it, you didn't double gasket is by chance? or there is a piece of junk in a needle and seat? did you happen to look down the carb at idle to see if fuel is coming out the boosters?

jungledave
    Well what the pv does is add fuel to the main metering system, so if you are flowing fuel thru that and the pv is open then yes fuel is going thru it, you didn't double gasket is by chance? or there is a piece of junk in a needle and seat? did you happen to look down the carb at idle to see if fuel is coming out the boosters?It did have two gaskets on the pv when i took it out it looked like it would bottom out from a shiny spot on the metering block without two gaskets. the needle and seets seem to be working just fine and no flow with sihgt screws out.

LeE ss13
    Take the bowl and metering plate off the PV side and lay a straight edge across the body of the carb. If it is warped, it will suck raw fuel through the vacuum port. Take a large mill file and file it flat. It gets warped from tightening the bowl screws too tight.

Blown 472
    It did have two gaskets on the pv when i took it out it looked like it would bottom out from a shiny spot on the metering block without two gaskets. the needle and seets seem to be working just fine and no flow with sihgt screws out.
    Put one gasket on it and make sure everything is flat like the post above says. Did you start it and make sure there is no fuel coming out the boosters at idle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast