Thread: Setup Questions

e-ticket
    Had a great day Sunday afternoon! Met up with Moneypitt at Lake Casitas. Was a lot of fun running with you.
    Running basically a stock 454, 1:12 gears, and
    11-1/8x16 prop. It runs about 5500 rpm. Is this about where I should be? Is this prop a little stiff? Can I have it reworked and to what? Also I have the cav plates level with bottom of boat all of the way across. All of my pics seems like the back is riding a little low. Should they be set up differently? Wish I had more power, but budget won't allow it right now.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/103sprint727-3.jpg[/img]
    [ July 30, 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: e-ticket ]

boatguy222
    E ticket,
    you might try some 18% gears in your v-drive, I have seen your boat run in Washington last years, it never had the right prop on it when I saw it run. Give V-drive Tom a call I am sure he can rework it for you.
    Good luck!
    [ July 30, 2003, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: boatguy222 ]

V-Drive Tom
    e-ticket, How much RPM do you think your engine should run up to. I would think at least 6000.
    I think that prop is a little stiff for your power. TOM..

schiada96
    I guess that engine is not too bad. That's just a truck motor. I wouldn't lean on it too hard for too long. Glad to see that boat in the water!!

e-ticket
    boatguy222
    The v-drive originally had 18's in it and the rpm was low. I went to 9's and the rpm was well over 6000 which I think is too high for it.
    V-Drive Tom
    Can the prop be reworked to get me just a little higher. It seems to bog a little when you nail the power. I want to run 5500 to 6000.
    schiada96
    The motor seems to be about there for a stock motor and considering what I am into it for. At least I can get used to how the boat handles without me getting too far over my head for now. Would like more power for next year though.
    How about my cav setup guys?

Moneypitt
    E ticket, your plate settings MAY be what holding the boat back. If I recall correctly, the PS boat was set up with the port end of the port plate at 5/8 above the bottom of the boat,(drivers weight on this side of boat) and the center of each plate was at 5/16, and the starboard end at 3/8. All above the straight edge on the bottom of the boat. From these, the t handle was set for the best performance/control, depending on the conditions, and the pedal was used to lower the plate, scuff off some rpms/speed and allow the boat to be turned. I know when the plate was set to low, the boat was slugish to accelerate and top speed seemed to be held back. Jamie Jamison, from Ariz. helped us dial it in, and man, what a difference!!!!Lets try to set you up at the plate before you start making other, more expensive changes. HEY ART, (RR) what do you think about his plate?
    I think I've found the fuel delivery problem on the jet, I'm making the changes this week, and may go back for the glass off again this weekend.
    Also, I'm trying to find the drive dogs for the hydro, that glass last weekend got me stoked to make the hydro right...... Let me know if you need any help.....Moneypitt

e-ticket
    Moneypitt,
    Sunday was a fun time! wink Thanks for offering your help. Let me know when you have some free time. I have a handle but it isn't in the boat. eek! Have to try to get it in.

Sangerboy
    Looks great e-ticket, good to see it out on the water, if you guys ever want more company give me a call, I can usually fit in a trip to Casitas for a couple of hours

boatguy222
    e-ticket,
    your boat has several issues that I would change to have it run correctly. strut angle and v-drive placement are the major one, I tryed to get Boyd to do it, but elected not sell it and get a slower boat.
    I am very surprised to hear that you have to run those short gears to get you rpm up, boyd was running small ci/hp engine in it and was turning over 6000, have Tom rework the prop, and see were you'er at.