Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford diesel truck question...

Lavey29
    Hi guys, need a little help and advice. Wife just called me at work and said she filled the diesel truck up with 87 unleaded. :jawdrop: WTF... said she drove it about a block which probably means a few miles and then realized her mistake and pulled over. Obvioulsy, I have to drain this gas out but what kind of motor damage may have been caused? What's the worse case scenario and does anyone need 27 gallons of gas?

Riverkid
    Flatbed straight to the dealer.
    Wishing you VERY good luck.

blown65
    Hi guys, need a little help and advice. Wife just called me at work and said she filled the diesel truck up with 87 unleaded. :jawdrop: WTF... said she drove it about a block which probably means a few miles and then realized her mistake and pulled over. Obvioulsy, I have to drain this gas out but what kind of motor damage may have been caused? What's the worse case scenario and does anyone need 27 gallons of gas?
    I'm no diesel expert but we had one of our smarter employees do that at work and drive off to only have it start running like ass. Took the truck in not knowing the issue and pretty much they drained it and refilled and it was off and working again. (Still running fine actually)

shadow
    Don't worry,customers get thier diesels towed into my dealer all the time that fill them with gas.Make sure you drain all the gas out change the fuel filter and fill it with diesel.

RitcheyRch
    Always wondered what would happen if someone put regular gas in a diesel and vice versa.
    Hopefully it didnt cause any major damage. You would think the manufacturers would make it impossible to make that mistake.

Tons of Fun

Just have the towed home or to your local service guy. There should not be any damage to the engine. This happens more than you think!!! Once the fuel is dained ou of the tank, fill the tank all the way wih diesel. Go to Walmart and but "DieselKleen" It is in a gray or white bottle and is cheap. Get the gray one if possible and add 8 ounces to the tank. This will solve the problem!! No worries. It happens to all of us... well, most of us. This is truely the least of your worries. I would be more concerned about the gas you wasted. If you do drain it yourself, it works well in 2 cycle engines on weed wackers and other household 2 cycle engines. DO NOT USE ON DIRTBIKES!!!
    I hope this helps!

Lavey29
    Don't worry,customers get thier diesels towed into my dealer all the time that fill them with gas.Make sure you drain all the gas out change the fuel filter and fill it with diesel.
    Thanks for the response. I hope mine is that simple. It won't stop me from ruthlessly playing the guilt card and extorting a years worth of BJ's from the wife becuase of her f-up. :devil:

Lavey29

Just have the towed home or to your local service guy. There should not be any damage to the engine. This happens more than you think!!! Once the fuel is dained ou of the tank, fill the tank all the way wih diesel. Go to Walmart and but "DieselKleen" It is in a gray or white bottle and is cheap. Get the gray one if possible and add 8 ounces to the tank. This will solve the problem!! No worries. It happens to all of us... well, most of us. This is truely the least of your worries. I would be more concerned about the gas you wasted. If you do drain it yourself, it works well in 2 cycle engines on weed wackers and other household 2 cycle engines. DO NOT USE ON DIRTBIKES!!!
    I hope this helps!
    Thanks for the info pal. I only work 16 hours tonight so when I get home, I will pick that stuff up to add to the tank. I gotta find a place close by that can drain my tanks for me. I appreciate the helpfull advice...

Hal
    I just did the same thing to my F250 last friday. Put 23 gal of of unleaded in the tank. Drove it about 8 miles to the off ramp I was taking and when I stopped the engine got very quite. Drove another 1/4 mile to a parking lot and parked. I suspected it was a fuel problem being I just filled up. I called Downs oil told them I think there diesel tank may have gas in it. She asked for my card number and came back and told me I put unleaded in not diesel.
    What a dumb ass. All I can think that happened was that I was all excited on the way to pick up my new Ranger RZR and just Fukked up.
    Had it towed to my buddies shop, sucked about 27 gal out of the tank then put in 6 gal of diesel. Drove back to Downs (about a mile) and filled it up with diesel. All done in about 3 hours and it runs great like it always has. I changed both the fuel filters the next day. That takes about a 1/2 hour.
    A friend just told me today his neighbors wife just did the same with thier truck and the dealer charged them $1800.00 to fix it.???

Lavey29
    Wow, I am glad yours was easy to fix. I hope mine is also. I have an appointment at my mechanic in the morning. He say's they need to drop the tank and drain it along with the lines and then change the filters. Worse case, my injectors are friend and he also said that the longer the gas is in there, it eats away the O rings for the motor. I hope it works out. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast