Thread: best boat wax/cleaner ?

splitrader
    hi all..new here...found the boards quite informative and helpful..great site!!!
    just read the "what oil to use board".. and the one on "clearcoating"...(very good info!!)
    my question is ....what kind/brand of cleaner/wax/rubbing compounds or finish restorer have you had good results with...on bringing back the color on a fiberglass boat...
    i feel as tho i have tried just about everything..and still not 100% happy with the results..perhaps you have found something that works better than dupont 7 rubbing compound and mirror glaze ..
    thanks in advance for your reply...

HammerDown
    Well I guess it depends alot on what condition the surface is in.
    When I bought my 83 Daytona it was in sadd shape. So I did the wet sand, micro fine paper. Then used Meguires 3-step Boxed product for gel-coat oxidation ,with a buffer...It came out really nice. That was five years ago. Now I must always use the marine polish and there Cleaner Wax or Yellow Wax. I'm thinking of clearing over it to keep the gloss and cut down on the elbo grease!

SUPERCREWJOHN
    Where do you go to get this stuff? Do you know of a Detail supply in the San Gabriel Valley? I've used the Meguiars stuff a bit ( heck they used to live next door to me) before the old guy paased away) but I know that their is much much better stuff out there..
    Any recommendations on good wax & polish for my truck as well? I have been using the Meguiars Professional 3 step stuff but I know that there are products out there better.

splitrader
    thanks to both of you...we might be onto something here..............
    i live in jax fla....buy meguires( mirror glaze) at local paint supply store ...
    as a top coat..i like "the wax shop super glaze" i think they call it..on my cars...no white residue...get it at auto zone or pep boys..most anywhere i suppose
    that's about the only thing i like better that meguires..(that i've ever tried)...but i see they have a new (for retail customers) glaze out too..but i have yet to try it...might be similar to wax shop no residue
    love barry meguire's tv show..(on speed vision).."car crazy"...giving back is good..and one way to buy too ads i suppose......