Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving a cat vs. V

HPBoats83
    I have grown up with V's my whole life and think I can drive them pretty well. How much different is driving a cat from a V and what do you have to do different? If we were to compare boats, let's say a 25 Daytona and a equivalent size eagle.

Jyruiz
    I don't know, but I was happy with my 26' V this past Memorial weekend.

BADBLOWN572
    They are very different. The way you take wakes in a cat is different, turning is completely different, and the way that the boat rides is different. I think that driving a cat is easier, you just have to pay more attention because cats are not as forgiving. Just my .02
    I personally was very glad that I had a cat this past memorial day. Ran back in rough water at 70mph and never got crazy. Just went over the top of the rough stuff.

Lavey29
    I agree with BB572. I have owned 2 Daytonas and am now on my first good sized V bottom. Cats are faster typically with the same power but you have to stay alert to varying water conditions. V bottoms will handle the rough water better overall I feel. Cats usually don't need or have tab(s). V bottoms do which extends the length of the boat and allows you to fine tune the ride for the condtions. I came very close to blowing my Daytona over at 95mph some years back. Kited 15' straight vertical in the air and almost went over. 25 and smaller Cats tend to be ass heavy with big block motors. I feel they work way better with outboard power on the smaller cats. I am still learning to drive my V at optimum level in different condtions.

DMOORE
    I have also found my cat to be MUCH more sensative to trim than any V I have owned, or driven. It takes awhile to get used to it. Also you will see a big difference between running with the wind or into it. Something most V's don't experiance. In a word, take your time, start off slow and really learn the boat. It took me a couple of months to really get used to the changes.
    Darrell.

BajaMike
    So, to summarize.....Vs are more forgiving then cats.....and better in rough water? I think it is accepted that an equal size cat will run faster than a V with equal power.
    I've never driven a cat, but I know from riding with friends, in small to medium chop, if you can get the cat to speed and start to lift, you can kind of ride over the chop.
    But in bigger waves.....like the basin at Mohave in the afternoon, you're in trouble with a cat under about 40 foot.....
    :idea:

plaster dave
    They are very different. The way you take wakes in a cat is different, turning is completely different, and the way that the boat rides is different. I think that driving a cat is easier, you just have to pay more attention because cats are not as forgiving. Just my .02
    I personally was very glad that I had a cat this past memorial day. Ran back in rough water at 70mph and never got crazy. Just went over the top of the rough stuff.
    I agree with you on this.

dicudmore
    I agree with you on this.
    I 3rd this and did not get passed by a V-bottom of any size or power all weekend. I DID get passed by a 33-Daytona monday in some snotty water and a 32-Skater...pretty sure they were both cats :wink:

dicudmore
    But in bigger waves.....like the basin at Mohave in the afternoon, you're in trouble with a cat under about 40 foot.....
    :idea:
    Dam run next weekend--we'll see how many of the V-bottoms can hang with the cats through the basin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast