Thread: Lake Travis Law Enforcement?

vulgar75
    Hi everone just had a question regarding the law enforcement on Lake Travis. In my hometown when they check to see if you have all the gear that is required they tend to do the whole background check on your license. I don't no about anyone else but i don't want to be sitting with the cops for an hour just for them to tell ok your good have a nice day. Do they do this on lake Travis to? Don't take me wrong i'm glad there keeping it safe out there. But sometimes it's a little frustrating.:sqeyes:

Devilman
    I've never boated on Lake Travis, but every time I've ever been flagged down & checked by the water cops, I've always been back on my way in about 5, 10 minutes max....
    I wouldn't think Travis would be any different.

rrrr
    The patrol guys I've dealt with all over Texas are always nice to us. It helps if you show your PFDs without being asked, have the Type IV cushion handy, and exhibit some boating sense.
    They're looking for people that don't know what they're doing and are BUI.
    If you're coming from out of state, pick up the little digest of Texas boating laws. Most marinas have them at the register.

R.A.D.man
    I have been checked a bunch on Travis. It's always easy if you are ready for them. Know where your stuff is. Start pulling jackets out as they arrive, get your registration quickly, fire extinguisher accessible and charged, throw cushion, not tears in pfd's and I always show them the whistle or air horn for grins. When you give them what they want to see so they do not have to ask, it's usually very quick. You need to have your drivers license too as a form of I.D. I have never been background checked from the drivers license. Obviously, if there is a bunch of empty beer cans rolling around, it may not be so simple.

Devilman
    I have been checked a bunch on Travis. It's always easy if you are ready for them. Know where your stuff is. Start pulling jackets out as they arrive, get your registration quickly, fire extinguisher accessible and charged, throw cushion, not tears in pfd's and I always show them the whistle or air horn for grins. When you give them what they want to see so they do not have to ask, it's usually very quick. You need to have your drivers license too as a form of I.D. I have never been background checked from the drivers license. Obviously, if there is a bunch of empty beer cans rolling around, it may not be so simple.
    I never got in the habit of carrying my wallet in the boatbut have never been asked for driver license/ID. Guess I may need to start....

R.A.D.man
    I never got in the habit of carrying my wallet in the boatbut have never been asked for driver license/ID. Guess I may need to start....
    It's as much a habit for me as is the rest. I am not sure if it is a requirement or not, but I think it is. I know it is required if you are fishing, when they check that license, you had better have both.

oldbuck40
    It's as much a habit for me as is the rest. I am not sure if it is a requirement or not, but I think it is. I know it is required if you are fishing, when they check that license, you had better have both.
    As i was told by a friend i hunt with that is a Deputy said Texas law requires that you carry a valid Drivers license or state id which is to include your picture anytime you are in the public. and yes if you get caught they can slap you with : Failure to identify.
    i carry my wallet anyway cause it has all that crap in it plus my little green card for the boat!

Turbojack
    Since there were 12 deaths on Travis last year the lake patrols are out in force. Mainly doing PFD checks, & the basics. Most time the stops are short. Unless your registration is not up to date or have other problems.

rrrr
    As i was told by a friend i hunt with that is a Deputy said Texas law requires that you carry a valid Drivers license or state id which is to include your picture anytime you are in the public. and yes if you get caught they can slap you with : Failure to identify.
    i carry my wallet anyway cause it has all that crap in it plus my little green card for the boat!
    I think you carry your license and wallet at all times because you have that card that sez: "If you find me face down passed out drunk, please have a taxi take me to the address on my driver's license".

R.A.D.man
    I think you carry your license and wallet at all times because you have that card that sez: "If you find me face down passed out drunk, please have a taxi take me to the address on my driver's license".
    I might need one of those cards.