Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New TX-19 MOLD

jet4fun
    On the other end of things, one shop I was at (who will not be named because the players are still building boats and some of you here just wet your pants over the mere mention of their names, lol) we built a boat, from cleaning and taping the molds to delivering it on a trailer fully rigged to the customer in 13 hours. It'd burn your eyes to just sit in the poor bastard because the resin was still cookin'.
    thats awesome, i'll take two...:idea:
    btw, doesnt howard leave their boats in the mold for quite a while? i dont think a month, but at least a week or so.....
    i talked to a boat guy about this one time and he said leaving it in the mold for a long time was an old skool thing and that now the modern resins and materials didnt require such a long curing time as the older resins used i dunno, if it was me i'd just leave it in for just in case reasons

That's true, it never stops curing. But it's the resin (and gel coat) that never stops curing, not the glass.
    Don't know at what age it loses its integrity, but I'd think twice about grabbibng a 35-40 year old hull and going comp jet racing. I don't care who layed it up back in the day.

thats awesome, i'll take two...:idea:
    btw, doesnt howard leave their boats in the mold for quite a while? i dont think a month, but at least a week or so.....
    i talked to a boat guy about this one time and he said leaving it in the mold for a long time was an old skool thing and that now the modern resins and materials didnt require such a long curing time as the older resins used i dunno, if it was me i'd just leave it in for just in case reasons
    Howard did when I worked there, don't know what they do now.
    Leaing it in the mold is old school, the best school imho. Much nicer rigging being done today than was EVER done back int he day for sure. But a great lay up is a great lay up and time spent curing is a big plus. If you can get a hulll like Mike at Extremeboats is building, or a Schiada, or what Dave (my favorite all time jet rigger) at So Cal Power is offering, something that's been in the mold for 30 days, that's a great thing.
    By the way, some builders will pull the parts to show a over anxious customer the gel work and then set the part back in the mold to finish curing. Does't work this way. If it's pulled, it's pulled. Once the bond between the waxed mold and the gel is seperated, it won't cure the same way. The part will now be allowed to move with the change in shop tempeture.

jet4fun
    That's true, it never stops curing. But it's the resin (and gel coat) that never stops curing, not the glass.
    Don't know at what age it loses its integrity, but I'd think twice about grabbibng a 35-40 year old hull and going comp jet racing. I don't care who layed it up back in the day.
    thats scary, there are quite a few guys drag racing or river racing with hulls approaching this age. so are we gonna start seeing some hulls coming apart on a pass?

Sleeper CP
    Was'nt too sure about every gullwing thats why i asked about the can-am vs. tx-19, do the cp's run clear to the transom?
    Todd
    they sure do....
    HBjet
    Yeah, when they are set up correctly (or loose)
    Todd, check out Slow Burns CP @ 110 mph.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...lowBurn110.jpg
    That is a nice set up boat
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Rondane
    I saw those molds when we picked up our Cheyenne from Ervin. Very nice molds. Good luck and cant wait to see some more boats out of them!
    I want to know where KenF the central states spokesman is? Seems strange he's not all over this thread with how great everything is. These molds look 10mph faster than any other just by looking at em.
    rondane

IMPATIENT 1
    Yeah, when they are set up correctly (or loose)
    Todd, check out Slow Burns CP @ 110 mph.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...lowBurn110.jpg
    That is a nice set up boat
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    what kinda power is that boat making?

Sleeper CP
    what kinda power is that boat making?
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...burnengine.jpg
    It's 555" and makes somewhere "North" of 750 HP off the bottle,
    As HBjet said "Yeah, 750 HP at 4,000 rpm's"
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

IMPATIENT 1
    NICE that scoop tray is huge, i was tryin to figure out why the hell there was a t-stat outlet up there

Sleeper CP
    NICE that scoop tray is huge, i was tryin to figure out why the hell there was a t-stat outlet up there
    That's funny. Don't look to closely you might get confused. Somelse thought Slow Burns engine was a Ford because it had a front mounted dizzy.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast