Thread: EGT numbers

tbanzer
    I got an EGT gauge on my boat. The highest I seen on the gauge is about 1100. Its an Vortech supercharged 502 mag. I noticed some dyno numbers that ran in the high 1200s into the 1300s. I thought aluminum melted at 1200? What kind kind of numbers should I be looking for?

Unchained
    My EGTs may be higher because its a turbo setup but my motor idles at 1350 degrees, Cruises at 1600 degrees, WOT I've seen 1750 +
    Ran it with those numbers for four seasons.
    EGT's are not real important
    A/F ratio and ignition timing is what needs to be right.
    Also, even with the high numbers I've run. I never seen the pipes or the turbine housing turn red yet.

RACER52
    I used to run an EGT and would always see cruise tempts around 1300 and WOT run temps between 1500-1700 depending on weather it was straight pump gas or mixed with some race.
    13lbs boost quad rotor set up.
    Got rid of the egt guage cause I spent more time watching that than looking ahead.
    Put in an a/f guage from innovate and that cured my worries. Pistons looked fine even with the high egt's. LEan will kill faster than a high egt.
    Racer

Warp Factor
    An EGT was the thing to have before good A/F sensors came along.
    Still problems with A/F sensors and leaded gas though.

tbanzer
    Is there any relationship between egt and detonation? In other words if you used fuel with to low of an octane would it reflect in higher egt numbers as detonation was occuring?

RumRunner
    Is there any relationship between egt and detonation? In other words if you used fuel with to low of an octane would it reflect in higher egt numbers as detonation was occuring?
    There is not a specific number relationship between the two, since you can have a high EGT from being too lean, or from being too rich (burning raw fuel in the pipe). The type of fuel you run will vary the EGT based more on the unburned hydrocarbons than from detonation. The only true way on that is going to be an actual knock sensor. EGT's can be a valuable tool to give you an idea, once you determine where your specific combination "Normally" likes to run, but it's going to be similar to comparing a ruler to a pair of calipers. It will get you close, but not as close as other tools can.

DEL51
    Hey Mark, Do you use inconel valves on the exhaust side? Even on the old Blower motor? I was talking to a friend who runs a mild N/A engine with a 150 shot of nitrous. He thought they were overkill. I think they,"Inconel", come standard on edelbrock marine heads. I have High egt's as well. Is it possible that inconel is used due to the possibility of reversion? I know that can't happen on your turbo setup, but I am curious

Unchained
    I've got the inconel exhaust valves.
    It's too late to turn back now.