Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schwarzenegger Under Fire For Smoking Cuban Cigar

RitcheyRch
    Guess there not enough other stuff to worry about in the world.
    http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_153103425.html
    Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger fired up a stogie during his trip to Canada this week, but did he break U.S. law to do it?
    The celebrity governor known for his love of premium cigars was headed to the Ottawa airport Wednesday when his motorcade made a detour to a hotel. There, Schwarzenegger picked up a Cuban Partagas cigar in a shop, with the $14.83 bill paid by an aide traveling with him, the Ottawa Citizen newspaper reported.
    Under trade restrictions, U.S. citizens are prohibited from buying Cuban cigars anywhere in the world.
    Schwarzenegger's office wouldn't confirm or deny that the governor indulged in a forbidden smoke while in Canada, where he was on a trade mission.
    "He stopped and bought a cigar and smoked it on the way to the airport," spokesman Aaron McLear said.
    Was it a banned Cuban cigar?
    "There's no way of telling now because he smoked it," McLear said.
    A message left at the shop wasn't returned Friday.
    Americans convicted of violating trade regulations can be sentenced to fines or prison, but it wasn't clear Friday if a U.S. citizen had ever been prosecuted for lighting a Cuban cigar in another country. Cuban cigars are imported into Canada legally.
    "Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction are prohibited from purchasing or importing Cuban cigars, regardless of where they are," U.S. Treasury Department spokeswoman Molly Millerwise said in a statement.
    The long-standing U.S. ban on prized Cuban cigars hasn't stopped a black-market trade, and numerous Internet sites offer cigars for sale purporting to be from Cuba.
    Schwarzenegger favors costly Daniel Marshall cigars with personalized labels, but he has told Cigar Aficionado magazine he enjoys Cohibas and Montecristos, legendary brands from Cuba.

zudnic
    "Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction are prohibited from purchasing or importing Cuban cigars, regardless of where they are," U.S. Treasury Department spokeswoman Molly Millerwise said in a statement.
    The long-standing U.S. ban on prized Cuban cigars hasn't stopped a black-market trade, and numerous Internet sites offer cigars for sale purporting to be from Cuba..
    Forget the law's name. Under U.S law certain crimes are illegal even if legal in the country you are visiting. This includes not just U.S citizens, applies to legal residents as well.
    Most of the websites and smoke shops in Canada sell Dominican's as they are made under license and Cuban brand names.... Cuba does not turn out enough production to meet the demand......
    My Brother lived in Cienfuegos for a year and even did University. One of his friends was returning to NY via Toronto and Canada Customs arrested him for not declaring his Cubans. When he arrived back in NY he got in some hot water and a letter threatning fines, but, they tend not to enforce the Embargo........... You can sell them on Ebay, art from Cuba can be bought and sold legally... Just advertise them as empty art cigar boxes. Even if they catch with Cigars, threat letter and nothing happens.... I plead the fifth on the last bit.

VEGASBABY
    Holy crap the world is going to hell in a hand bag. Let the Canadian candy azz mounties tie him to the back of horse and drag his azz back to Bev Hills!

Baja Big Dog
    I would love to see the description of the law that says an american CANNOT even smoke a cuban in Canada, or Mexico?? I call bullshit!!!!

Tom Brown
    I think he should be put to death as an example. He is obviously a terrorist.
    Have we run out of irrelevant bullshit to worry about?

VEGASBABY
    I would love to see the description of the law that says an american CANNOT even smoke a cuban in Canada, or Mexico?? I call bullshit!!!!Anyone ever tell you, you have a nose like a dog to be able to sniff that B S stuff out

Pheelin Phroggy
    does this mean I can't have a good cubano hanging out in Amsterdam anymore?

zudnic
    I would love to see the description of the law that says an american CANNOT even smoke a cuban in Canada, or Mexico?? I call bullshit!!!!
    It's in the embargo. Helms Burton made places more restrictions on those that do business in the U.S and Cuba. If a Canadian does the latter its grounds to bar them from the United States, a black ball type thing......
    It does'nt work cause they do not really enforce it, much like illegal immigration.

BajaMike
    So when I'm sitting on the beach in the Bahamas, smoking a nice, fresh, Cuban Cohiba, I'm breaking the law......
    Give me a f-ing break......and leave Arnold and his Cubans alone....

Racey
    What a bunch of horse chit, who the hell cares if it was cuban or not, does it make it right or wrong, fock no, even if it is against the law I'd claim civil disobedience on this one. Even as a public official that should set a good example this is still a bullshit issue. It makes no point anymore, and by having these stupid rules it makes us no different from the communist societies we are trying to boycott with them.
    Just because it's the law doesnt make it the absolute. It's our duty as citizens to challenge this kind of BS from the govt, if we didnt we might as well be living in a totalitarian society. I'm all for law and order but i'm sorry some stuff on the books is pure worthless garbage. All kinds of dumb laws like this, we don't enforce half the laws that are on the books already, and on top of that we pay millions if not billions of dollars to our law makers each year to keep writing new ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast