Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Av Gas 100ll ???

Sanitariumflat
    Can anyone tell me why I couldn't use 100LL (low lead) av gas in my boat. I've heard lots of opinions both ways, but so far haven't heard anything based on fact. I know my father use to use it back in the 70's for a 1/4 mile street rod. I think it was a little hotter then, maybe 115? Any knowledge out there on this?
    Smash

40FlatDeck
    Can anyone tell me why I couldn't use 100LL (low lead) av gas in my boat. I've heard lots of opinions both ways, but so far haven't heard anything based on fact. I know my father use to use it back in the 70's for a 1/4 mile street rod. I think it was a little hotter then, maybe 115? Any knowledge out there on this?
    Smash
    I have used it for years in all of my motors. Much, much cleaner than pump, reduce the risk of detonation. I run it with some Marvel Mystery oil. My motors are 557's, 1471's with 9 pounds of boost.

don johnson
    Ditto, use it in my 1,100 HP 572's at 11 lbs of boost with Marvel. Last year sent the blowers in to be freshened and they said these motors were very happy motors and the Marvel kept the blower strips like new....

tittyman
    About how much oil do you add per 10 gallons of av gas...

don johnson
    About how much oil do you add per 10 gallons of av gas...
    I follow the directions on the bottle but if memory serves its 4oz per 10 gallons

jimsplace
    I have been using it for many years with no problems. A lot of misinformation is out there.
    avgas is a dry gas. It is dry - it is monitored closely for water. Water freezes in in airplane at altitude.
    Avgas is designed for slow running motors. The truth is the burn rate is determined largely by compression and rich or lean situations. Same for street gas or race gas. It is not quite as dense as race gas, but only slightly different. Many race motors do not turn extremely high RPM.
    Avgas is illegal to use in anything but an airplane. I have found no one that can provide that information. It is illegal to use it on the street. There is no road tax being paid and it is leaded. Not all airports will sell to someone that is not putting into an airplane. I assume it is a liability issue about taxes. They won't tell you that though.
    Race gas can provide more octane than avgas. It is closely monitored and certainly something to consider for maximum performance engines.
    The airport should be able to provide the octane and other information about their gas. Avgas is also closely monitored. The fuel in this area tends to be around 107 octane.

dmontzsta
    There is nothing wrong with avgas.

Havasu Hangin'
    Avgas is illegal to use in anything but an airplane. I have found no one that can provide that information. It is illegal to use it on the street. There is no road tax being paid and it is leaded. Not all airports will sell to someone that is not putting into an airplane. I assume it is a liability issue about taxes. They won't tell you that though.
    100LL Av gas is also available at the pumps (with road taxes).
    I also use it with some Marvel- it has been a very good combination for my motors, and it's much cheaper than VP105.

Racey
    100LL Av gas is also available at the pumps (with road taxes).
    I also use it with some Marvel- it has been a very good combination for my motors, and it's much cheaper than VP105.
    It may be available at the pump, but it's not legal to run on the street i believe, it contains lead, and is usually marked 'Offroad Use Only' though this isn't always the case about being marked. I don't believe it can be or is road taxed because it is illegal for highway use anyway since it does contain lead.
    As far as performance issues, we have been using it for many years in performance motors, 1100hp turbo, to high compression NA. and have never had any problems.
    and the best part about av gas compared to race or pump gas is it's shelf life. it remains totally stable for years and years, wont turn to varnish and clog your fuel system, or carbies. I have an old '74 yamaha mx 250, it had been sitting in storage for 10 years with av gas in the tank and no lie it started after sitting for 10 years on the very first kick and purred like a kitten, i road it all weekend at dumont last presidents day.

Sanitariumflat
    Thanks for all the info folks! I have a 468 NA bowtie, 2-650's, 11.3:1 comp, moderate cam. So far it is just a lake toy. I've been told that I should be looking for around 6500 rpm wot. Had some ignition issues that were stopping it @ 5000 or so, but I believe that I have corrected them (fingers crossed). It sounds like the 100LL that I have access to may work pretty good and save me a few bucks. What's the deal with the Marvel oil? Is it because the fuel is drier?
    Thanx,
    Smash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast