Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: strut bushing play

Fired Up
    How much play is TOO MUCH in a strut bushing. Should there be no play whatsoever or a little bit if you grab the prop shaft and push it? Are we talking something measurable with a feeler gauge here?

In my limited experience with the strut bushing, If you have alittle now it will be alot soon. This also depends on your junk being straight & balanced.
    What type if bushing are run running?
    When was the last time it was replaced?
    Morg.

Fired Up
    Replaced last year. Very little time on it. Fiber type. Had to do some honing to get the shaft in.

As long as you have not run it dry (in gear on the trailer) If you have verry little time on it & it's showing wear you may have something out of ballance.
    I went thru a bushing one after noon while trying a prop that I'm thinking was out of balance.
    When was the last time the shaft & prop. was checked?
    Morg.

Fired Up
    Brand new shaft, prop was tuned by Tom bentley last summer. There is very little side to side play. But I can feel it when I push against the shaft back and forth. It would be hard to measure with a feeler gauge, but I can feel a little end play. Is a little normal?

Sounds like your stuff is set up right. I would just make shure the prop is properly set on the shaft (not hung up in the keyway) & keep an eye on it. It's tough to tell what you are calling a little. Sounds like it's not to bad & Tom is the man on getting that stuff right.
    Morg.

Fired Up
    Thanks. I know what you mean about hung up on the keyway. Had to do alittle filing on new keystock that didn't let the prop seat completely on the shaft.

Just a tip I'm sure 99% of you already know when fitting a prop. seat the prop on the shaft first without a key and mark the shaft with a felt pen at the edge of the prop (front side). Remove the prop and install the key and reinstall the prop. If the prop doesn't reach that same mark, the key is holding it out and the key must be further shaped to allow full 360ยบ seating of the prop on the shaft. This is a tried and true test that's easily done in the field testing different props. Keep in mind that a key that works in one prop may not work correctly in another because of slight differences in the depth of the key slot in the prop hub. Same situation when changing shafts, key depth may be different so check it.
    From my experience slight side clearance on the strut bushing is normal and if everything's in balance and straight it will not cause significant quick wear. By slight, I mean you can feel it barely, probably .010 to .020 max. I have seen them looser and live, but that's what I would call within the healthy normal range. However if you have a balance problem or a shaft that's not straight enough, it will eat the bearing up faster than normal depending on the severity of this problem.

Thunderbutt
    After the prop is installed if you have a reverse gear don't use it. Go to forward until the prop seats.

Thunderbutt
    Hay Mike (Rexone) I talked you about putting in a water preasure gauge. Where would I tie into the water system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast