Thread: Passing on a hill with a dbl yellow line

I was heading for havasu last monday night on rice rd. About 3 miles passed videl junction I could see a lot of headlights coming my way. I was just coming over a hill and saw two cars in my lane passing big rigs. I had no where to go except for the side of a hill. Luckily I didn't have to go there. I want to know, who in there right mind passes on a hill on a two lane road at night. That is a head-on ready to happen.

RitcheyRch
    Have heard there are head-on crashes there quite often.

lalhc
    That's insane. They were probably drinking too. I vowed to never drive that road again two years ago. Your post validates my reasons to travel the extra 15 minutes on another route to avoid Rice road.

I left late in the evening figuring that most of the traffic would be gone. Boy was I wrong. All I saw was headlights all the way there.

Brewzed
    that's the main reason I take the 40

bear down
    Too many close calls on rice road...but it was very hard for me to stop using that route...I started using Ehrenburg three months ago after the big rig accident vs the honda (burning inferno) on that section close to what you were talking about. Ehrenburg is 20 miles further but the same time to get to Havasu since the speed limit is 70 on the 10 vs 65 on rice road and the two stops at the 62 and vidal junction make up the time for the extra miles driven. I have much more energy when I get to Havasu by not having to worry about passing anyone or avoiding anyone on my lane.

I have been driving that road for about 35 years and that was the first close call

westair
    All the idiots love Rice rd. ..... take Ehrenburg rd.

Ziggy
    staying aware and alert on Rice is a neccessity.........and driving defensively to avoid the mistakes of others.
    Driving is a serious business that needs to be treated that way all the time. For some reason some peoples common sense evaporates when on Rice....must be hot there

I usually drive close to the speed limit because the popos don't always drive marked vehicles. A friend of mine was busted speeding on that road by a popo in a black suburban unmarked. He now drives the speed limit.