Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudder/Strut safety check

Dragboat Dad
    We have our rudder and strut off the boat, we'd like to have them checked before putting the boat back together. They are chrome plated and we are in the 100mph range. Any suggestions on how to check these out?
    [ March 05, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Dragboat Dad ]

77charger
    Dragboat Dad:
    We have our rudder and strut off the boat, we'd like to have them checked before putting the boat back together. They are chrome plated and we are in the 100mph range. Any suggestions on how to check these out? I have heard that if they are chromed they might not be legal for racing!might be safety issue(other words can be risky to use)IMO.As for checking them i sure as hell dont know how it is done.

T-Bag
    Most drag boat regulations will not allow chrome rudders or struts grind it off and either have it mag checked or with dye.

superdave013
    don't grind it off. If you do anything take them to a chrome shop and have them strip it off.
    Then you can send it off to be mag checked or use the dye in a pinch.

ACCEPTENCE
    DragDad,
    Just finished doing mine, new rudder, new quadrent, new cable.(maged my new prop & propshaft too)
    Have the chrome srtipped at Astro Plating in Van Nuys on Erwin Street or at Aztech Plating on Deering Avenue in Canoga Park.
    Then take the stripped rudder and quadrent to have it maged, Tommy Lee does an excellent job and is a perfectionist. He is in Sun Valley off Lankershim. (pendelton St.)
    If either of these parts fail at speed, your in big trouble, while it's apart, do the right thing, as cutting corners now might cost you big time later!!!
    Let me know if you need help, Greg
    [ March 05, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: ACCEPTENCE ]

superV
    If it turns out you can run it chromed, then you can have it Ultrasonic Inspected using Shear Wave Method. This is a much better test than Mag as it checks 100% of the material were as Mag is only good for 1/8" sub surface indications. The two test together is really the best way to go. If you need some one to do it let me know, I can do it or recommend someone local.

Dragboat Dad
    Super V, this sounds good. Is there someone in my area you could recommend?

GofastRacer
    Super V is right, the "Ultrasonic" way is best but I would lose the chrome regardless!...Just my .02!.. eek!

superdave013
    If you are not racing it you might as well keep the chrome. IHBA and NJBA won't let that boat run with chrome running hardware.
    They say that when you chrome it that it weakens the metal. I don't know all the techy stuff about it, but that's what they say.
    So in reality the damage is done and stipping the chrome off won't help. I've removed chrome from a few props and they seemed to have lasted with the feable hp I was putting to them.

Cole Man II
    Had a friend that had is prop stripped and re-chromed several times over the years, just try to keep it in good shape. He finally folded an ear doing a hole shot. He keeps the prop on his wall in the garage. The guys at the chrome shop told him that having it chromed to many times weakens the metal.
    Live and learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast